The Health Benefits of Watermelon
September 14, 2023
Low in Calories
Watermelon is filling. Consumed as part of a healthy diet, it can help with weight management.
1 cup = 46 calories
Good for Hydration
Watermelon is more than 90 percent water, so it also helps keep you hydrated.
Good for Digestion
The water, fiver and nutrients in watermelon promote a healthy digestive system and regular bowel movements.
Rich in Antioxidants
Watermelon provides a rich source of antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin A and lycopene, which gives watermelon its red color.
High in Lycopene
Watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable, which may help:
- Reduce inflammation and lower the risk of stroke
- Protect against age-related eye disorders
- Lower the risk of certain cancers
- Maintain healthy blood pressure
Good Source of Vitamins
Vitamins in watermelon support good health:
- Vitamin A supports eye, skin and bone health
- Vitamin B-6 fuels red blood cells, supports the immune system and reduces symptoms of depression
- Vitamin C maintains healthy bones, joints, skin and gums, and immune function
- Watermelon seeds are rich in magnesium. which promotes heart, bone and sleep health
Tags: Diet and Nutrition