Terms and Conditions
If you require the University Hospitals terms and conditions information in a language other than English, please refer to the following translated resources:
Last Updated on May 16, 2023
If you think that you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency medical services (9-1-1) immediately or go to a hospital emergency department.
Intellectual Property. The entire contents and design of our Online Services are protected under U.S. and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. University Hospitals’ Online Services also display multiple trademarks and service marks that are owned by University Hospitals and subject to the trademark rights of University Hospitals. You may look at our Online Services online, download information to your computer to read later, or print copies of pages for yourself, your family, or your friends. However, you may not copy the Online Services or any portion of them for commercial use or distribution, nor may you modify or repost them. You also agree not to display, reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell, exploit, or use in any manner any trademark, service mark, or logo from the Online Services without the express written permission of the owner of the mark or logo.
Consistent with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512), University Hospitals is a registered Service Provider with the United States Copyright Office. University Hospitals also reviews claims of trademark or other intellectual property infringement. Notifications of alleged copyright or other infringement must be sent to University Hospitals, 11100 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44106.
User Supplied Material. Our Online Services may allow you to upload, store, and share content, including messages, texts, photos and other materials (“User Content”). Except as otherwise specifically noted in Additional Terms, your User Content is considered and will be treated as non-confidential, and you hereby grant University Hospitals a nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully paid, and sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display your User Content in all media formats and channels now known or later developed without compensation to you. If you supply or transmit any User Content via the Online Services, you represent and warrant to us that you have the legal right necessary to grant us the license described above, and that such material will not violate any law or the rights of any person or entity.
You understand that all information, data, or other materials that you and other users of the Online Services upload, post, transmit, publish, display, or otherwise make available through the Online Services, including information you share or make available to other users of the Online Services, are the sole responsibility of you or the person from whom such User Content originated. This means that you, and not us, are responsible for User Content that you upload, post, transmit, publish, display, or otherwise make available through the Online Services. Under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for or related to any User Content, including but not limited to any errors or omissions in User Content and any loss or damage resulting from use or reliance on User Content on the Online Services.
No Medical Advice. University Hospitals provides content on the Online Services so you can educate yourself on the topics presented. Information provided to you through the Online Services should not be regarded as medical or health care treatment or advice, and use of the Online Services does not create a doctor-patient relationship, unless we specifically state otherwise with respect to a particular Online Service. You should always seek the advice of your doctor or qualified health care professional with any questions you may have regarding medical conditions or health issues. The information you obtain from University Hospitals’ Online Services may not apply to you or work for you and your personal situation, or it may be misunderstood. University Hospitals works to keep information current, but information changes quickly and may not be up-to-date. University Hospitals does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this information. Any reliance on such information is at your own risk.
If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency medical services provider (9-1-1) immediately or go to a hospital Emergency Department.
Links to Other Sites. In an effort to provide you with additional information, University Hospitals’ Online Services may include links to third-party websites. We make no representations about any third-party websites. A hyperlink to another party’s website does not mean that University Hospitals endorses or accepts the content or use of the site or its privacy practices. The privacy practices of linked sites could be different from those of University Hospitals. If you access third-party linked sites from University Hospitals’ Online Services, you are solely responsible for the access and use of the third-party linked sites.
Disclaimer on Communicating with University Hospitals by Text Messaging. If you choose to communicate with University Hospitals through text messages (SMS/MMS), University Hospitals cannot guarantee that communication via texts will be confidential. Data transmission over cellular airwaves cannot be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. Additionally, University Hospitals will not be liable in the event that you or anyone else inappropriately uses your device or accesses your text data. You acknowledge and agree that University Hospitals will not be liable for improper disclosure of your health information that is not caused by University Hospitals’ intentional misconduct.
At the discretion of University Hospitals, its staff, physicians, and agents, you may be permitted to communicate via text messages (SMS/MMS) with University Hospitals. If you decide to provide University Hospitals (or its agents) with your mobile number to communicate via text messages with University Hospitals, you consent to communicate with University Hospitals by text message. You further agree that you have the following risks and responsibilities:
- When you affirmatively opt in to receive text messages relating to referral order reminders, health care reminders (e.g., annual wellness exams, eye exams, etc.), health care recommendations, University Hospitals’ policy changes that may impact you, and/or University Hospitals’ announcements related to accessing care (e.g., construction-related detours or delays), University Hospitals will send you a message asking you to confirm your signup.
- Text YES to 84669 (UHNOW) to receive alerts as described at the time of opt in. Message frequency will vary based on your use. Text “HELP” for help. Text “STOP” to cancel.
- You can cancel this service at any time. Just text “STOP” to 84669 (UHNOW). After you send the message “STOP” to us, we will send you a reply message to confirm that you have unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive messages from us for the above stated purposes.
- If you wish to join again, text “JOIN” to 84669 (UHNOW), and we will start sending messages again.
- Using other shortcodes, based on separate permissions from you, University Hospitals may send you text messages relating to appointment reminders, payment notifications, or virtual waiting room content.
- If at any time you forget what keywords are supported, just text “HELP” to 84669 (UHNOW). After you send the message “HELP” to us, we will respond with instructions on how to use the opt-in text messaging service as well as how to unsubscribe. For all questions about the services provided by the short codes, please contact Customer Support by filling out the form at https://www.uhhospitals.org/contact-us.
- University Hospitals does not have a separate charge for this service; however, message and data rates may apply from your mobile carrier. Subject to the terms and conditions of your mobile carrier, you may receive text messages sent to your mobile phone. University Hospitals does not warrant that your mobile carrier will enable your participation in this service.
- By providing your consent to participate in this program, you approve any charges from your mobile carrier relating to text messages to or from University Hospitals. Charges for text messages may appear on your mobile phone bill or be deducted from your prepaid balance.
- University Hospitals reserves the right to terminate this text service in its sole discretion, in whole or in part, at any time without notice. The information in any message may be subject to certain time lags and/or delays. You are responsible for managing the types of texts you receive. University Hospitals is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
- By enrolling in this subscription program, you consent that following such a request to unsubscribe, you will receive one (1) final message from University Hospitals confirming that you have been inactivated in our system. Following such confirmation message, no additional text messages will be sent unless you reactivate your subscription.
- You must be 18 years old to be eligible to use text messaging services with University Hospitals. By opting in to communicate with University Hospitals by text you are representing that you are at least 18 years of age.
- Participating carriers include: AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, Boost Mobile, MetroPCS, Virgin Mobile, Alaska Communications Systems (ACS), Appalachian Wireless (EKN), Bluegrass Cellular, Cellular One of East Central IL (ECIT), Cellular One of Northeast Pennsylvania, Cricket, Coral Wireless (Mobi PCS), COX, Cross, Element Mobile (Flat Wireless), Epic Touch (Elkhart Telephone), GCI, Golden State, Hawkeye (Chat Mobility), Hawkeye (NW Missouri), Illinois Valley Cellular, Inland Cellular, iWireless (Iowa Wireless), Keystone Wireless (Immix Wireless/PC Man), Mosaic (Consolidated or CTC Telecom), Nex-Tech Wireless, NTelos, Panhandle Communications, Pioneer, Plateau (Texas RSA 3 Ltd), Revol, RINA, Simmetry (TMP Corporation), Thumb Cellular, Union Wireless, United Wireless, Viaero Wireless, and West Central (WCC or 5 Star Wireless).
Paying Online. University Hospitals offers online payment services. In using that service, you authorize University Hospitals to process and display your account and payment information on a secured internet site. You are responsible for the confidentiality of your password, banking or credit card information, and any account information. University Hospitals is not responsible for any loss you may incur if someone misuses your password, banking or credit card information, or account information. Additional terms may apply to the online payment services as well.
Disclaimer of Warranties. You understand and agree that we do not provide any warranty with respect to the Online Services. Instead, you agree that your use of University Hospitals’ Online Services is at your own risk and that the Online Services are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis, with all faults, and with no representations or warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including with respect to the completeness, security, reliability, quality, accuracy, or availability of the services.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO ITS ONLINE SERVICES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITATION TO THE ABOVE, UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT (I) ONLINE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (II) ONLINE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (III) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF ONLINE SERVICES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, (IV) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED THROUGH ONLINE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS, NEEDS, OR REQUIREMENTS, AND (V) ANY ERRORS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ONLINE SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED.
UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INACCURACIES OR DEFECTS IN THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, COMMUNICATION LINES, INTERNET OR YOUR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER (ISP), COMPUTER HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, OR ANY OTHER SERVICE OR DEVICE THAT YOU USE TO ACCESS OUR ONLINE SERVICES.
YOU SHALL BE SOLELY AND FULLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO THE ONLINE SERVICE OR ANY COMPUTER SYSTEM, ANY LOSS OF DATA, OR ANY IMPROPER USE OR DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION ON THE ONLINE SERVICE CAUSED BY YOU OR ANY PERSON USING YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD. EXCEPT AS PROHIBITED OR LIMITED BY LAW, UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS CANNOT AND DOES NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGES, OR LIABILITIES ARISING FROM YOUR MISUSE OF ANY PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION, ADVICE, IDEAS, INFORMATION, INSTRUCTIONS, OR GUIDELINES ACCESSED THROUGH THE ONLINE SERVICES.
You understand that University Hospitals cannot guarantee that use of our Online Services will be free from technological difficulties including, but not limited to, unavailability of information, downtime, service disruptions, viruses, or worms. Additionally, you understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the Online Services will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for accuracy of damage input and output, anti-virus protection, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data.
Waiver, Release, and Limitation of Liability. YOU AGREE THAT, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS, ITS AFFILIATES, ANY LICENSOR OR SUPPLIER, OR ANY THIRD PARTY WHO PROMOTES OR PROVIDES A LINK TO THE ONLINE SERVICES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, LOST PROFITS, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSSES, FEES, CHARGES, EXPENSES, OR LIABILITIES RELATED TO THE OPERATION OF OR YOUR ACCESS AND USE OF THE ONLINE SERVICES.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WITH RESPECT TO DIRECT DAMAGES, AND WHERE THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS OF INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, AND OTHER DAMAGES ARE LIMITED OR PROHIBITED UNDER LAW, YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, FEES, CHARGES, EXPENSES, OR LIABILITIES YOU SUFFER OR INCUR RELATED TO YOUR ACCESS AND USE OF THE ONLINE SERVICES THAT RESULT FROM ANY ACT OR OMISSION OF UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS, ITS AFFILIATES, ANY UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS’ LICENSOR OR SUPPLIER, OR ANY THIRD PARTY WHO PROMOTES OR PROVIDES A LINK TO THE ONLINE SERVICES SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FEES PAID BY YOU DURING THE THREE MONTHS PRECEDING THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO LIABILITY, OR IF NO FEES WERE PAID OR PAYABLE BY YOU FOR SUCH PERIOD, $100.00.
THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS TO LIABILITY APPLY REGARDLESS OF THE TYPE OF DAMAGES OR CLAIMS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES OR CLAIMS RELATED TO (I) PERSONAL INJURY, WRONGFUL DEATH, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF PROFITS, INTERRUPTION OF SERVICE, OR LOSS OF DATA; OR (II) MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETION OF FILES, ERRORS, DEFECTS, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, OR (III) ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, WHETHER OR NOT LIMITED TO ACTS OF GOD, COMMUNICATION FAILURE, THEFT, DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO YOUR RECORDS, PROGRAMS, OR SERVICES, OR (IV) OTHERWISE ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE, THE ONLINE SERVICE. YOU AGREE THAT THIS LIMITATION APPLIES EVEN IF UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS, ITS AFFILIATES, ANY LICENSOR OR SUPPLIER, OR ANY THIRD PARTY WHO PROMOTES OR PROVIDES A LINK TO THE ONLINE SERVICES IS NEGLIGENT OR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE LIKELIHOOD OR POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, LOSSES, FEES, CHARGES, EXPENSES, OR LIABILITIES.
THE PARTIES AGREE THAT THE EXCLUSIONS OF REMEDIES AND LIMITATIONS SPECIFIED IN THIS SECTION ARE ESSENTIAL TERMS, WITHOUT WHICH THE SERVICES WOULD NOT BE OFFERED, ARE A REASONABLE ALLOCATION OF RISK AND APPLY REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, AND APPLY EVEN IF ANY LIMITED REMEDY SPECIFIED IN THIS AGREEMENT IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
TO THE EXTENT THE ABOVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS RESTRICTED UNDER LAW, THE ABOVE LIMITATION SHALL BE APPLIED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER SUCH LAW.
Dispute Resolution. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPHS CAREFULLY BECAUSE THEY REQUIRE ARBITRATION OF CERTAIN DISPUTES ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND LIMIT THE PROCEDURES BY WHICH YOU AND UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS CAN SEEK RELIEF.
- Class Action Waiver. To the maximum extent allowed by applicable law, you and University Hospitals agree that each may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity, on an individual basis, and that you and University Hospitals each waive any right to pursue claims on a class, collective, non-individual, mass, or consolidated basis or in a representative proceeding. The arbitrator may not join or consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of representative, collective, non-individual, mass, or class proceeding. Nothing in these terms should be read to allow class arbitration. Any claim that all or part of this Class Action Waiver is unenforceable, unconscionable, void or voidable may be determined only by a court of competent jurisdiction and not by an arbitrator. All other disputes with respect to whether this Dispute Resolution provision and its terms are unenforceable, unconscionable, applicable, valid, void or voidable shall be determined exclusively by an arbitrator, and not by any court.
- Pre-Arbitration Notice and Good Faith Negotiations. You and University Hospitals also agree that each party will notify the other in writing of any Dispute before initiating arbitration, so that we can try to resolve the Dispute informally and individually. Notice by University Hospitals will be sent to you at your last known street and email addresses on file, and notice by you to University Hospitals will be sent by mail to University Hospitals’ Legal Department, 3605 Warrensville Center Road, Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122, Attn: Chief Legal Officer. The notice of Dispute must be specific and individual to you and include your name, street address, telephone number, and email address used for access to the Online Services, as well as a brief description of the Dispute, the amount of money (if any) at issue, and the specific relief sought. The notice must be signed and include your handwritten signature or the handwritten signature of a University Hospitals employee, as applicable, depending on which party is initiating the Dispute. You and University Hospitals then agree to negotiate personally, individually, and in good faith to try to resolve the Dispute. If and only if we cannot resolve the Dispute within thirty (30) days after the notice is received, then either party may commence an arbitration proceeding with a written demand for arbitration. Any limitations period will be tolled from the date the Dispute is noticed to the other side until the expiration of this thirty (30)-day period. Compliance with this Pre-Arbitration Notice provision is a condition precedent and requirement for initiating any arbitration proceedings.
Should more than 50 individual arbitration demands be initiated by or against University Hospitals, and either by or with the assistance of the same law firm or coordinated group, or seeking relief based on similar alleged conduct, then all of those arbitration demands will be administered in batches of up to 100 demands per batch with a single arbitrator for each batch and a single filing set of fees (e.g., one filing fee, case management fee, and arbitrator compensation fee) per side per batch. You and University Hospitals agree to cooperate in good faith to implement such a batch approach or similar approach for efficient resolution of claims, including as necessary the payment of single filing, case management, or administrative fees for batches of claims. If more than 50 similar individual arbitration demands are initiated by or with the assistance of the same law firm or coordinated group by or against University Hospitals, and the batch approach process is deemed unenforceable, unconscionable, invalid, void or voidable, then the parties’ agreement to arbitrate, including the Agreement to Arbitrate and Jury Waiver provision above, shall also be null and void with respect to the parties in that batch of arbitrations.
- Arbitration Fees. The party initiating the arbitration will pay any filing, case initiation, or arbitrator fees, up to the amount that would be required to pursue the same claim in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio (currently, $402.00). For individual damages claims with less than $25,000 at issue, University Hospitals will pay the additional, reasonable fees and costs of arbitration. For claims with more than $25,000 at issue, or where a party seeks injunctive or declaratory relief, the parties will share the fees and costs of arbitration equally. The parties’ good faith negotiation of reasonable fees with the arbitration provider is authorized as needed. If the arbitrator determines that your or our claim(s) are frivolous, the party bringing the frivolous claim(s) will reimburse the other party for any amounts that other party paid for the arbitration.
Interactive Areas and Security. University Hospitals provides email and interactive functions for you to communicate with us or otherwise post, submit, publish, display, or transmit content to other users or persons. University Hospitals reserves the right to monitor, review, or remove the content of these communications and materials but disclaims any responsibility to monitor these communications. Any content or opinions expressed on interactive features of the Online Services, including, without limitation, message boards, articles, and responses to questions, are solely the opinions and responsibility of the person or entity named as the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of University Hospitals.
Also, no data transmission over the internet is 100 percent secure. You should take appropriate precautions to protect personal and confidential information, including any passwords or account information, and to use the Online Services and your devices or applications in a secure and responsible manner. You, not University Hospitals, are responsible for the security of your devices and your transmission of information over the internet, and if you have any concerns about the transmission of your information over the internet, you should use other means of communication.