About University Hospitals
In 1993, University Hospitals developed a new strategy and model for health care delivery. This new approach called for University Hospitals to better meet the health care needs of a significant portion of Northeast Ohio through geographic expansion and an increase in the types of services we offer.
Make An AppointmentOffering in-person, video and telephone visits. Call today
to see which option is right for you. 1-866-844-2273.
In the process University Hospitals was transformed from a traditional, single-site academic medical center into the broad-based health system we are today. Some of the most notable organizational changes and enhancements include:
- To complement our nationally prominent services in tertiary medicine, we added prevention, primary care and early screening services.
- To strengthen our clinical capabilities, we expanded our established areas of excellence and developed new areas at University Hospitals.
- To improve access, we forged new hospital partnerships, developed the region's largest primary care physician network, and increased the number and size of cost-effective outpatient centers.
- To enhance care in the communities served by our new partners in University Hospitals, we opened satellites of some of our centers of excellence, initially for cancer care, cardiac care, pediatrics and women's health.
- To make quality care affordable, we redesigned the way we deliver much of our care, reducing inefficiencies and redundancies.
2018 Annual Report
Each year our Annual Report showcases many of the remarkable people who comprise UH – our patients, caregivers, donors, volunteers, business partners and community stakeholders.
UH 150 Anniversary Book
For more than 150 years, University Hospitals has cared for the families of Northeast Ohio. To celebrate we created a commemorative book, 150 Years: Advancing the Science of Health and the Art of Compassion.
Today, University Hospitals is one of the nation’s leading health care systems, providing patient-centered care that meets the highest standards for quality and patient safety and have received numerous awards and recognitions from some of the most prestigious institutions in the country for our leadership and exceptional patient outcomes. As an accountable care organization, we foster long-term patient-provider relationships that help promote preventive care, increase wellness and healthy behaviors, decrease emergency episodes, and prevent hospitalizations.
Committed to advanced care and advanced caring, University Hospitals offers the region’s largest network of primary care physicians, outpatient centers and hospitals. The System also includes a network of specialty care physicians, skilled nursing, elder health, rehabilitation and home care services, managed care and insurance programs, occupational health & wellness, and the most comprehensive behavioral health services in the region.
The System’s 1032-bed, tertiary medical center, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, is an affiliate of Case Western Reserve University. Included on UH’s main campus are University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, among the nation’s best children’s hospitals; and University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center, part of National Cancer Institute-designated Case Comprehensive Cancer Center at Case Western Reserve University (the nation's highest designation).
More than 28,000 physicians and employees constitute University Hospitals and its partnership hospitals, making it Northeast Ohio’s second largest private sector employer. UH performs more than 10.8 million outpatient procedures and over 142,000 inpatient discharges annually.
University Hospitals’ goal is to provide comprehensive primary and community-based care – the kind of health care people need most – as well as access to the highest quality specialty care when necessary.