Virtual Visits: Changing the Way Women Receive Care
September 11, 2020
You may increasingly start to see telehealth opportunities in areas of health care you didn’t before, even for your OB/GYN care.
Understanding the Scope of Virtual Care for Women
When it comes to pre-natal care, telemedicine can be used for remote pregnancy monitoring (such as blood pressure checks, diabetic management), perinatal consults (such as genetics, high-risk obstetrics and pediatric specialists) and even postpartum visits to address breastfeeding, depression/anxiety and routine follow-up/education.
Telemedicine can also support women’s sexual and reproductive health needs throughout the phases of their lives, from puberty to menopause.
Top 5 Benefits of Virtual Visits
Maria Shaker, MD, an OB-GYN at UH Rainbow Center for Women & Children, outlines these top five benefits of virtual visits for women’s health:
- Telehealth frequently receives high marks regarding patient satisfaction and the care experience. It reduces the travel burden and related costs to the patient.
- It increases access to care for women who live in rural communities where the provider-to-patient ratio is very low or where specialists are rare. Virtual visits also accommodate women’s busy schedules and/or those with limited means of transportation.
- Telehealth allows for more frequent check-ins, making sure that you get help at the times you really need it – a feature that’s especially convenient for pregnant women who need frequent doctor visits and pregnancy monitoring.
- Along with virtual care comes virtual support groups and education as a resource for patients. University Hospitals offers both for expectant and new moms.
- Virtual visits can be used for general gynecology and family planning purposes, including birth control advice, preventive care, prescriptions and even addressing any gynecologic concerns you might have.
Take full advantage of the virtual visit trend – it’s the new frontier of health, offering greater support of women’s health care.
UH virtual visits include online video appointments and telephone appointments, offering access to many of the same services you receive during a traditional in-person appointment, including remote symptom monitoring, diagnosis and treatment, prescriptions and other medical services. Learn more about these services at UH.