Pediatric Orthopedics Care for Muscle, Bone and Joint Conditions
Through this lifelong approach to care, we deliver exceptional results that allow kids to move and play like kids while protecting their orthopedic quality of life as adults.
Recognized as Northern Ohio’s Best Hospital for Pediatric Orthopedics.US News & World Reports Best Children’s Hospitals
Schedule an appointment for your child today.
Offering in-person, video and telephone visits. Call today
to see which option is right for you.
Learn more about virtual visit.
At University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s, we focus not only on providing the best musculoskeletal care today, but also on how it will affect growth and development in the future. This is why our pediatric orthopedic care has consistently been ranked as one of the very best programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Because we are part of an extensive health system, we are able to seamlessly transition children into adult care as their bodies develop. In many cases, we continue to provide follow-up care for former patients within our pediatric care team well into adulthood. What we do isn’t just for today. It’s for a long, thriving life ahead.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What conditions do you treat?
The pediatric orthopedic experts at UH Rainbow treat the full range of muscular and skeletal conditions in children and offer some of the most advanced diagnostic and therapy options available. Common conditions we treat include:
- Scoliosis and spine deformities
- Clubfoot and limb deformities (limb lengthening)
- Hip dysplasia and hip preservation
- Orthopedic sports injuries and trauma
- Neuromuscular conditions
- Soft tissue and bone tumors
- Who are your providers?
The members of the pediatric orthopedic team at UH Rainbow are national leaders in pediatric orthopedics. Our team consists of pediatric orthopedic surgeons, sports medicine physicians, nurse practitioners and other specially trained clinicians. Our sub-specialty teams concentrate on areas such as fracture and trauma, scoliosis, arthroscopy and the care of the young athlete, neuromuscular conditions and hip and limb deformities in order to provide your child with the most specialized expertise for their condition or injury. In addition, our providers are on the leading edge of research in the field of pediatric orthopedics and are involved with numerous multicenter research groups. The team regularly publishes in prestigious orthopedic journals and present their research at national meetings.
Learn more about our pediatric orthopedic teams.
- Where are your locations?
UH Rainbow offers specialized, same-day care for babies and children up to age 17 for bone fractures, sprains and other injuries at our orthopedic injury clinics. Your child will be examined and treated by a trained orthopedic specialist, no appointment necessary.
View Orthopedic Injury Clinic Locations
We also provide care for the full range of orthopedic injuries and conditions at locations across Northeast Ohio.
- How can I get my child seen quickly near me?
Our pediatric orthopedic team closely collaborates with our network of UH Rainbow general pediatricians. If you have a concern about an orthopedic condition or injury, you can contact your child’s pediatrician for guidance and next steps. They can refer you to an appropriate orthopedic specialist or subspecialist to get you the help you need quickly and efficiently.
- Why it is important to be evaluated by a pediatric ortho specialist
The bones of pediatric patients are more flexible than adult bones and are still growing. Because of this, children require a different approach to orthopedic care. The pediatric orthopedic specialists at UH Rainbow are specially trained in evaluating young patients and have expertise and experience in treating injuries in children with their unique needs and still-growing bodies in mind.
Making Spine Surgery Safer for Kids
Watch Dr. Glotzbecker explain the benefits of navigational platforms like Pulse and how they are the future of surgery for children with scoliosis and complicated spine conditions.Watch Now
Reasons to choose Rainbow
Learn more about the reasons to choose Rainbow for your child’s orthopedic care.
Making Spine Surgery Safer for Children
UH Rainbow surgeons utilize innovative technology and surgical techniques that help make spinal surgery safer, more efficient and produces better outcomes for pediatric patients.Learn more.
Conditions & Treatments
Learn more about the orthopedic conditions we treat in children and the advanced diagnostics and medical/surgical therapies available at UH Rainbow Babies & Childrens.
Highly Specialized Care Led by World-Renowned Pediatric Orthopedics Team
To offer families in northern Ohio the best care possible, our team has a deep level of specialization. Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric orthopedic doctors have dedicated their careers to advancing care for very specific conditions and areas of the body. For every level of care, including the most complex traumatic injury, our team has expertise across every area of musculoskeletal care, including spine, limb deformity, sports medicine and neuromuscular disorders.
Our care team includes pediatric nurses specially-trained in orthopedics. With a low nurse to patient ratio, we ensure our patients and their families receive the personalized support they need throughout the entire journey from injury through rehabilitation. We are able to deliver exceptional care outcomes and a superior care experience thanks in large part to the tenure of our nurses. The majority of our nurses have been with the UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s pediatric orthopedics program for nearly 10 and in some cases 20 years.
With a multidisciplinary approach to successful recovery, our team addresses every aspect of care. Depending on the condition and situation, additional care team members may include:
- Pediatric anesthesiologists
- Child life specialists
- Pediatric nurse practitioners
- Pediatric nutritionists
- Pediatric physical therapists
- Social workers
We also work closely with other pediatric specialists to coordinate care for children who have complex medical conditions. At UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s, you can see all the specialists you need – all under one roof.
Clinical Excellence and Improving Quality
Leading the way in clinical excellence, we monitor trends and identify best practices based upon clinical evidence for children with bone, muscle and joint conditions. UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s is home to the largest single center spine database in the world. We have decades of data for almost 3,000 fully documented pediatric spine patients.
Same-Day Injury Care
Our team also offers same-day care of fractures and other orthopedic injuries for our young patients across northeast Ohio. We have open appointment slots every afternoon for children and adolescents with acute injuries. If you need quick access for evaluation or treatment of your child's injury, we are here for you.
Appointments can be made by calling 216-930-5593 or visiting the Orthopedic Injury Clinic.
Leading Edge Care, Close to Home
In addition to our dedicated children’s hospital, families in our community can receive world-class pediatric orthopedic care at convenient locations throughout northern Ohio. From the very beginning, we’ve always made it a priority to see patients in their own neighborhoods. Our experts travel to regional clinics as far as Sandusky, Medina and Twinsburg. It’s ingrained in who we are and our commitment to patient-centered care.
Why Choose UH Rainbow for Pediatric Orthopedic Care?
Some of the features that set our pediatric orthopedic surgery program apart include:
- World-renowned pediatric orthopedic physicians who are board-certified experts with specialty training to provide complete and individualized care for your child. They are also recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a Best Children’s Hospital in Orthopedics.
- A team of pediatric orthopedic surgeons, advanced practice/specialty nurses, anesthesiologists, child life specialists and physical therapists who diagnose, treat and manage a full range of musculoskeletal conditions.
- Our pediatric orthopedic physicians have proven leadership in blood loss prevention.
- An advanced pediatric orthopedic pain management program.
- EOS Edge technology – the latest generation technology provides information-rich, weight-bearing images by scanning a patient in either a standing or sitting position using a low dose of radiation. The technology simultaneously captures frontal and lateral full body images in under 20 seconds for average-sized adults and 15 seconds for children.
- 24/7 access to pediatric orthopedic experts in our Level I Pediatric Trauma Center.
- Access to same-day care from pediatric orthopedic specialists at our Orthopedic Injury Clinics, where babies and children can be diagnosed, treated and/or scheduled for surgery while avoiding an expensive visit to an urgent care or ER.
- The Elisabeth Severance Prentiss Pediatric Surgery Center, which is the only surgical facility in Cleveland designed solely for pediatric patients.
- An intensive clinical research program and pediatric orthopedic database aimed at delivering advances in clinical care and providing access to new therapies before they are available at other hospitals.
- Our pediatric orthopedic physicians bring cutting- edge research to patient care as they hold leadership positions in national international study groups in scoliosis and early onset scoliosis, limb lengthening and deformity, pediatric sports injuries, and baclofen pump use.
- Offering the latest advancements in scoliosis and spinal surgery correction techniques and technology, including breakthrough Pulse intraoperative navigation, Firefly, advanced intraoperative imaging, Vertebral body tethering, and Apifix, as well as a comprehensive early onset scoliosis program.
- Award-winning experts recruited from some of the nation’s best programs, our physicians and researchers are represented on the boards of every major orthopedic publication and have been chosen to participate in leadership roles in all major U.S. orthopedic publications and organizations.
- Physicians who have been elected to fill leadership roles within major orthopedic societies including the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA), Scoliosis Research Society (SRS), Pediatric Research in Sports Medicine Society, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the European Pediatric Orthopaedic Society (EPOS).