Pediatric Surgery at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital
With extensive experience and expertise in surgical therapies for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults, the Rainbow Division of Pediatric Surgery provides 24-hour care for elective and emergency general surgical needs of patients from birth to 21 years of age, covering all conditions and illnesses that affect the body from below the chin to above the knees (excluding the heart, spinal cord and spinal column).
Your child’s health is important. Don’t delay care.Offering in-person, video and telephone visits. Call us today at
216-844-5437 to see which option is right for you.
Learn more about virtual visit
We Put the Patient and the Patient’s Family at the Center of Our Care Model
When it comes to exceptional care, the pediatric surgeons at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital do not see a difference between their own children and yours: our goal is to heal your child with the same compassion, diligence and unwavering determination we would give in treating our own.
A cohesive team of talented surgeons and nurses, we consider ourselves a family: when one of us takes care of a patient, all of us take care of that patient. With grace, kindness, determination and positivity, we do everything in our power to heal and improve the lives of our patients. We take great pride in providing the finest level of care using the least invasive procedures required, matching the highest tiers of medical technology with the greatest level of compassion.
Why Choose Rainbow for Your Child’s Surgery?
There are many reasons for choosing us for your child’s surgery:
- Rainbow is the only full-service children’s hospital in Cleveland.
- Rainbow is the only designated Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in Northern Ohio. By Ohio law, only those hospitals inspected by the American College of Surgeons and found to meet stringent patient care criteria may call themselves trauma centers.
- Pediatric surgery patients at Rainbow benefit from immediate access to the full range of pediatric medical and surgical services that only a dedicated, full-service children’s hospital and pediatric academic medical center can provide.
- The highly trained, experienced team of surgical professionals at Rainbow understand that children are not simply small adults: rather, children have growing bodies and unique needs and experience specific pediatric illnesses that require specialized care.
- A family-centered approach: Just as our team seeks to become an extension of your family, we regard your family as an extension of our own.
- Our relationship with Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine ensures access to cutting-edge technology, research and medical advances not available at other children’s hospitals.
At 22 weeks pregnant, Vera discovered that her unborn child was carrying two large tumors that were causing the baby’s organs to shut down. Given less than a 5-percent chance of survival, baby Delaney is now a happy, healthy toddler.
Providing Surgical Care for Pediatric Patients with Common and Complex Conditions and Illnesses
Learn more about the wide range of conditions and illnesses for which the Rainbow pediatric surgery team provides infants, children, teens and young adults with advanced surgical therapies and diagnostics.
Northeast Ohio’s Only Dedicated Pediatric Surgical Center
The Elisabeth Severance Prentiss Pediatric Surgery Center is the only surgical facility in Northeast Ohio specifically designed for pediatric patients. Pediatric anesthesiologists at the center are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for immediate medical attention when necessary.
The Prentiss Pediatric Surgery Center is located on the second floor of UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital. A comfortable family waiting area is located nearby. A receptionist is available from 6 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday to help keep you in touch with your child’s care team.
Pediatric Surgical Waiting Area: ext. 43700, or 216-844-3700 from outside the hospital.
After hours, families can call ext. 43501 for information, or 216-844-3501 from outside the hospital.
Your child’s health is important. Don’t delay care.
Offering in-person, video and telephone visits. Call today to see which option is right for you.