Treatment for Children with Spinal Deformities & Scoliosis
The Spinal Deformity & Scoliosis Center offers experienced and internationally recognized physicians to help children with scoliosis and other congenital spinal deformities. The center offers many unique features which set it apart from other programs, including an expert staff who can diagnose and treat a wide range of pediatric spine conditions, including:
Treating Severe Pediatric Spinal Deformities with Traditional and New Approaches
Traditional surgical techniques for pediatric patients with severe spinal deformities can be used in older children and adolescents with great success. However, very young children are different because they are still growing and complete fusion surgery can limit development. Our pediatric orthopaedic surgeons have helped develop surgical and non-surgical techniques that allow for the continued growth of children with spinal deformities.
Using Advanced Techniques
To reduce pain and potential complications, orthopedic surgeons at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital employ advanced surgical techniques that include:
- Medicine’s that reduces blood loss during spine surgery
- Duramorph spinal anesthesia
- Growing rods, including the use of newly improved devices to decrease the need for repeat surgeries
- Firefly® Technology
- Neuromuscular monitoring
- Posterior-only spinal fusion with spinal osteotomy to hasten healing
- Risser casting and thoracolumbar (trunk) bracing
UH Rainbow is a Global Leader in the Management of Pediatric Spinal Deformities
Some of the features that set our pediatric spinal deformity program apart include:
- World-renowned pediatric orthopaedic physicians who are board-certified experts with specialty training to provide complete and individualized care for your child - our orthopedic surgeons have helped develop surgical and nonsurgical techniques that allow for the continued growth and successful care of children with spinal deformities.
- A team of pediatric spine surgeons, advanced practice/specialty nurses, anesthesiologists, child life specialists and physical therapists who diagnose, treat and manage a full range of musculoskeletal conditions.
- UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital developed spinal cord monitoring, a system used worldwide to help make spinal surgery safer for both children and adults.
- Our pediatric orthopedic physicians have proven leadership in blood loss prevention.
- An advanced pediatric orthopedic pain management program.
- The most experienced in the region for treating difficult early-onset scoliosis, including non-operative and new surgical options that can help decrease the need for repeat surgeries among still-growing children.
- A continuum of care within the University Hospitals system that enables us to transition teenage patients seamlessly to adult orthopedic care.
- 24/7 access to pediatric orthopedic experts in our Level I Pediatric Trauma Center.
- An intensive clinical research program aimed at delivering advances in clinical care and providing access to new therapies before they are available at other hospitals.
- The Elisabeth Severance Prentiss Pediatric Surgery Center, which is the only surgical facility in Cleveland designed solely for pediatric patients.
- Award-winning experts recruited from some of the nation’s best programs, our physicians and researchers are represented on the boards of every major orthopedic publication and have been chosen to participate in leadership roles in all major U.S. orthopedic publications and organizations.
- Physicians who have been elected to fill leadership roles within major orthopedic societies including the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA), Scoliosis Research Society (SRS), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the European Pediatric Orthopaedic Society (EPOS).