Integrative Medicine Services for Well-Being and Healing
University Hospitals Connor Integrative Health Network offers a wide variety of clinical services to help guide you to optimal health.
At UH Connor Integrative Health Network, we pride ourselves on having experienced and compassionate providers. Through a multidisciplinary approach, our board-certified providers ensure that each patient receives the most appropriate and responsive treatment.
Integrative Medicine Services
Led by Medical Director Francoise Adan, MD, board-certified in both psychiatry and integrative medicine, the UH Connor Integrative Health Network team provides specialized services that embrace the benefits of providing healing with a more integrative approach. Services include:
- Acupuncture: This technique applies ultra-fine needles painlessly to the body in order to balance the nervous system, reduce tension and alleviate pain. This 5,000-year-old healing practice has been shown to effectively treat such diverse symptoms and conditions as pain, digestive problems, respiratory disorders, anxiety, depression, headaches and migraines. Acupuncture can also greatly ease side effects from cancer treatments, such as fatigue and nausea.
- Art Therapy: This service involves the use of art materials and art-making as a vehicle of expression, coping, and the fostering of self-awareness and self-reflection. Common goals of art therapy include decreasing stress, anxiety and pain.
- Chiropractic: This is a health profession that specializes in the evaluation and adjustment of your body’s structural, spinal and neurological systems and their effect on your overall health.
- Guided Imagery: Guided imagery, also known as visualization, is a gentle but powerful technique used in meditation to focus and direct the imagination. Specifically, it involves focusing one’s attention on a relaxing image, such as a sunset or a flowing waterfall. Studies have shown that by using guided imagery, people can lower their anxiety levels during stressful times, reduce their heart rate, blood pressure, blood glucose levels, and even decrease morphine use for pain after surgery.
- Integrative Medicine Consultation: This service is a great starting point for patients new to integrative medicine. Our integrative medicine consultations provide education and holistic recommendations – encompassing body, mind and spirit – to help patients develop a personalized care plan, based on individual goals and current health conditions.
- Integrative Occupational Therapy: Integrative occupational therapy assesses specific performance problems in daily living and applies evidence-based therapeutic approaches to address the patient’s goals. Utilizing a self-management approach, a personalized plan of care is created to move patients towards functional goals and interventions.
- Massage Therapy: In massage therapy, applying pressure to soft tissue creates a release of muscle tension while increasing the flow of blood and lymphatic fluid to the area. This provides therapeutic benefits, such as the easing of tightness and pain creating a deep sense of relaxation.
- Meditation: Meditation can be defined as a set of techniques that help cultivate a heightened state of awareness and focused attention. There are many types of meditation and it has been practiced in cultures all over the world for thousands of years. A common myth is that meditation is used for religious purposes only. While religious connotations can be attached to it, meditation can be practiced in a purely secular manner. Meditation has demonstrated effectiveness for conditions such as anxiety, pain, stress, depression, insomnia and in alleviating some symptoms of chronic illness.
- Mindfulness: Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us. Thirty-five years of research have shown that practicing mindfulness can result in reduced stress, decreased anxiety, reduced blood pressure, improved attention, minimized pain sensitivity, and improved emotion regulation. Given these benefits, large corporations like Google, General Mills and Aetna offer mindfulness programs for their employees.
- Music Therapy: As decades of research have shown, music possesses immense healing value. As such, music therapy is used to reduce pain, anxiety and extreme tension. Our music therapists, who have advanced degrees combined with strong musical skills, help people re-capture speaking skills (if they have had a stroke, for example), as well as provide uplifting moments for emotional and physical relief.
- Stress Management and Resilience Training (S.M.A.R.T.): UH Connor Integrative Health Network’s S.M.A.R.T. program teaches individuals how to be smarter about managing stress in their lives in order to reduce the negative impact stress can have on a person’s health. We offer programs for adults as well as S.M.A.R.T. Teen to help teens build healthy, lifelong coping strategies. The S.M.A.R.T. program focuses on developing techniques to minimize the physiological and emotional effects of stress. Our eight-week interactive series is led by experienced stress management experts who provide strategies for self-care and practical tools to help build stress resilience.
- Yoga Therapy: The physical stretching and the holding of yoga poses is combined with breath work and relaxation techniques. It goes beyond physical fitness, and into the realm of healing both the body and mind. Yoga works by increasing body awareness while also increasing flexibility and strength.
- Integrative Psychiatry: UH Connor Integrative Health Network offers integrative psychiatry to enable patients to get in touch with and engage the body's natural healing abilities. This holistic mind-body therapy is designed to enhance the whole person and it benefits patients with conditions such as anxiety, chronic pain, depression, insomnia, fatigue and other stress-related problems.
- Osteopathic Sports Rehabilitation Clinic: Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, or DOs, are fully licensed physicians who emphasize a whole-person approach to treatment and care. The DO uses osteopathic manipulation treatments (OMT) to “jump start” the musculoskeletal system so that your body can heal itself. OMT is a hands-on approach to health and healing using gentle soft tissue and joint mobilization to align the body.
To refer a patient for integrative medicine services, or to get information on research, education opportunities and more, please visit our for clinicians section.
UH Connor offers resources and services for employers as well, including workshops and retreats, stress management and mindfulness classes, and onsite massage and acupuncture sessions. To learn more, visit our employer services section.