Conditions & Treatments
At University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, pediatric nephrologists lead a collaborative team of experts to manage a wide range of kidney-related problems in children. The team includes pediatricians from other subspecialties, including:
- Neonatology: This subspecialty focuses on the medical care of newborns. We are staffed and equipped to provide the most advanced kidney care for newborns, including dialysis.
- Human Genetics: Genetic specialists play a key role in pinpointing potential genetic disorders that can cause kidney problems. Often, such disorders are discovered in the womb through advanced testing. This enables prenatal planning for specially coordinated treatment strategies after delivery.
- Urology: The urology team covers the entire urinary and reproductive tracts, including the systems that work in concert with the kidneys to process urine. Urologists join the nephrology team to address physical deformities that block urine flow.
In addition to providing expert evaluation and care for general nephrology problems, UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital pediatric nephrologists also provide specialized treatment and services at the following centers:
- General Pediatric Nephrology: Nephrology services that focus on the evaluation and treatment of the most common kidney problems in children.
- Hypertension Center: High blood pressure can stem from a variety of causes including kidney issues. At this center, specialists in hypertension are dedicated to controlling the condition and preventing additional problems.
- Center for Children with Inherited Kidney Diseases: Experts evaluate and plan treatment for children with inherited kidney diseases, including those present at birth or later in childhood.
- Pediatric Kidney Transplant Center: Sometimes, the best life-saving solution is a new kidney from a living or deceased donor. UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital provides kidney transplantation in children as young as 1 year of age.
- Dialysis Center: Children sometimes need extra help when problems are severe enough to keep the kidneys from functioning normally. Dialysis can replace kidney function or give weak kidneys a helping hand. Our team uses sophisticated machinery to filter the blood and remove the waste products to sustain life.