Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Pediatric Residency Program at Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital serves a culturally rich and diverse community in the Greater Cleveland area.
Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Demographically, the City of Cleveland is approximate:
Amidst its historical and present-day strengths, we recognize that our community continues to tackle health inequities resulting from a history of structural racism and inequality.
Furthermore, we know that part of the solution to combating these inequities is to grow a physician workforce that embodies cultural and structural humility and is representative of the community we serve.
Formerly known as The Upstanders Committee, the UH Rainbow Babies & Children's DEI Committee consists of residents, fellows and faculty who help lead our efforts in:
- Recruiting and retaining an inclusive trainee and faculty workforce that reflects the diversity of the community we serve
- Creating and disseminating curricula in health equity, anti-racism and social justice
- Building and celebrating the diversity of our community through both our shared experiences and our differences
Past residency activities have included:
- Virtual open houses and Second Looks for URiM students
- Participation in the 2021 YWCA 21-Day Racial Equity and Social Justice Challenge, with a wrap-up meeting with YWCA of Greater Cleveland Past President (and now national President & CEO) Margaret Mitchell
- Movie Discussion – PushOut: The Criminalization of Black Girls
- Resident Academic Half-Day Lectures on Implicit Bias, The Impact of Racism on Child Health and Educational Health Inequities
- 2021 Combined Pediatrics and Med/Peds Grand Rounds on Being Upstanders
- 2021 Resident & Faculty-led workshop and lecture, entitled, “Excellence Through Equity and Inclusion Along The Pipeline: Sustaining the Momentum, ” presented at the 2021 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Education Retreat
- Representation at 2022 SNMA AMEC, Orlando, Florida & SNMA Region V RMEC
- University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center Office of Community Impact, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- AAP Policy Statement on The Impact of Racism on Child and Adolescent Health
Visiting Student Clerkship
UH Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospitals of University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center welcomes 4th year URiM medical students applying to pediatrics to apply to the Satcher Clerkship for visiting students.
- Rolling acceptances through January of each academic year
- Funding up to $2500 for travel and housing
- Faculty advisor assignment
- Opportunities for networking and meet with Pediatric Program Director