Pediatric Asthma Diagnosis and Treatment
University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital’s pediatric asthma experts provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for children with asthma.
We’ve invested in leading-edge diagnostic testing and asthma treatment technologies to accurately determine the best treatment plan for your child. As part of the initial evaluation, we determine your child’s pattern of pediatric asthma symptoms. By taking a thorough history, we can make sure your child has asthma and not an underlying condition.
We also conduct testing that may include allergy or lung function tests. We look for other conditions that can play a role in asthma, including things like:
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Allergic rhinitis
- Chronic sinusitis
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Food allergies
- Immune system problems
- Malnutrition or low vitamin levels
- Right middle lobe syndrome
- Sleep apnea
- Swallowing problems
- Vocal cord dysfunction
Our Severe Asthma Program offers multidisciplinary care for chronic pediatric asthma and providing education for families on the management of asthma symptoms in kids.
Pediatric Asthma Diagnosis Services
Pediatric asthma diagnosis and testing services may include:
- Complete pulmonary function tests including testing before and after albuterol to look for a response
- Exercise challenge testing
- Flexible fiberoptic & bronchoscopy - a scope of the airways to look for inflammation and infection (only needed for severe cases)
- Testing for common environmental allergens
- Exhaled nitric oxide measurement: This test can be performed to see if a patient has inflammation in lungs, and can help diagnose and manage asthma. We are only facility in the region with the capabilities to perform the exhaled nitric oxide, or eNO, test.
- Induced sputum analysis
- X-rays and CT scans, interpreted by specially trained pediatric radiologists