Preparing for Surgery
Plan Ahead and Make Arrangements Before Having Your Scoliosis Operation
Once you and your family have decided to go ahead with the operation, your doctor’s office will help you make many of the arrangements for your hospital stay.
Here are some of the things you can do:
- Make a list of all the appointments you would have during the time you will be in the hospital and for a four-week period afterward. This includes visits to the doctor, orthodontist, dentist, etc. If possible, reschedule these visits before your surgery. Tell your dentist and doctor that you will be having surgery so they can take care of anything that should be done.
- Notify your school and teachers about being absent for your operation. The average time out of school is approximately three weeks. While you are at home, you will feel well enough to do school work. Make plans with your teachers to have your assignments and books with you, so you can keep up with your classes. Usually a tutor is not necessary, but feel free to talk to your doctor or nurse if this is a concern.
- If you are working, you will need to take time off. Be sure to find out from your doctor how much time you will need and when you will be able to resume your normal schedule.
- Think about what you will want to bring to the hospital. Include whatever personal items you need (such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hairbrush, comb, shampoo, etc.).
- You may also bring things that make you feel good – such as your favorite stuffed animal or pictures of your family and friends.