UH Portage Medical Center in Ravenna, OH
University Hospitals Portage Medical Center is a 302 licensed-bed progressive hospital serving the residents of Portage County. As the second largest employer and the only hospital in the county, UH Portage Medical Center offers an array of inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical specialties. UH Portage Medical Center operates a Level III Trauma Emergency Department, two urgent care facilities, comprehensive imaging facilities, a network of physician practices, and outpatient centers and medical facilities throughout the county.
Watch a message from Bill Benoit, President of UH Portage Medical Center
Find Patient-Centered Care in Our Portage County Medical Center
UH Portage Medical Center's medical staff consists of nearly 400 physicians in over 40 medical specialties. UH Portage Medical Center is recognized as one of the best places to work in Northeast Ohio by the Employers Resource Council and has been re-designated as a Magnet hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Magnet recognizes quality patient care and nursing excellence and provides consumers with the ultimate benchmark to measure the quality of care they can expect to receive.
Community Health Needs Assessment
As part of our commitment to the community, UH conducts a periodic community health needs assessment (CHNA) for each UH hospital facility, including UH Portage Medical Center, in order to identify the community's most critical health needs. Learn more about the most recent UH Portage Medical Center CHNA.
History of UH Portage Medical Center
In 1894, Wilford W. White, MD, a young surgeon, saw the need for a hospital to treat accident victims in the area. After completing his studies at the Western Reserve Medical College, he purchased a home on East Main Street in Ravenna. The facility became known as The White Hospital and housed 18 beds and an operating room.
The hospital steadily grew and by 1920, the county had purchased it and it had expanded to 48 beds. In 1932, with the help of Portage County residents and a $75,000 donation from the Robinson brothers, the George F. and Mary A. Robinson Memorial Portage County Hospital opened.
Continued growth and demands of the hospital led to the need for a new hospital, and in 1977 the Robinson Memorial Hospital opened. In the 1990s, expansion continued through the opening of outpatient centers in surrounding communities. The hospital continued to grow in the early 2000s, with a new emergency department, cardiovascular center, birth center, radiology department, and new facilities in Aurora, Kent and Streetsboro. Today, the hospital has 14 health affiliate practices and hospital centers in 11 locations.
Robinson Memorial Hospital joined University Hospitals in 2015.