Make a Difference by Becoming a University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center Volunteer
Volunteers are an integral part of the team at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center. Our volunteers are exceptional individuals who take the extra steps that make a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and our visitors. They help in countless ways, from delivering flowers and reading materials to hospitalized patients to comforting families who are worried about loved ones. Through their deeds, direct and indirect, volunteers are an essential extension of the UH Cleveland Medical Center team.
Whether volunteers are interested in supporting patients and families on patient divisions, lowering families’ stress levels by helping them find their way around the hospital, or supporting staff behind the scenes in a clerical capacity, we may have an important role for them that will impact the hospital experience for UH patients and families.
Volunteer programs available at UH Case Medical Center include:
- Summer youth volunteer program (high school students)
- College volunteer program
- Observation program for those interested in a medical career
- Pet Pals pet therapy program
Learn more about the volunteer opportunities available at UH Cleveland Medical Center.
Join the Auxiliary of UH Cleveland to Help Improve the UH Patient Experience
The Auxiliary of UH Cleveland Medical Center is currently accepting new members. The Auxiliary is a volunteer organization within the hospital that seeks to improve the patient experience by providing funds to support the patient’s environment, education and overall hospital experience. If you like to take on new projects, organize events, or serve in leadership roles, consider becoming a part of this vital organization.
Individuals who would like to join the auxiliary should indicate their interest on their volunteer application. They will be contacted by a member of the Volunteer Services Department with more information.
Application Process for UH Cleveland Volunteers
Individuals wishing to volunteer at University Hospitals are expected to:
- Complete a volunteer application.
- Provide two completed reference forms from someone in a leadership/advisory role; this is an interactive form that can be saved and sent to us.
- Have an interview with a member of the Volunteer Services Department staff.
- Complete a PPD/tuberculosis test; some areas of the hospital may require additional testing.
- Attend a new volunteer orientation and training.
- Complete background screening.
Volunteers at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center should be willing to commit to a minimum of six months or 50 service hours. Volunteer assignments typically require three hours per week. Please consider carefully whether this time commitment will fit your schedule or other life commitments.
Benefits to Volunteers
In appreciation of the support and time our volunteers contribute, UH Cleveland Medical Center offers benefits to volunteers which include, but are not limited to:
- Free parking
- Annual volunteer appreciation event
- Summer youth volunteer reception
- Letters of recommendation
- Discounts in the gift shop, cafeteria and pharmacy
- Meal ticket after each four-hour shift (not to exceed three per week)
Other Ways to Help
Volunteering is not the only way you can contribute to the comfort and well-being of the patients, visitors and staff at UH Cleveland medical center. Learn about other ways you can help. If you would like to learn more about fundraising opportunities at UH, please see our fundraising vendor calendar.
Child Life Special Events
Groups are invited to sponsor child life special events at the hospital for our pediatric patients and their families. For consideration, please visit our child life special events page and fill out an application.
Have questions or want to learn more? Contact Volunteer Services at UH Cleveland Medical Center.