Breastfeeding Consultations and Support for Mothers & Babies
University Hospitals Lactation Services provide assistance to mothers and babies in Northeast Ohio who need a little extra help with breastfeeding. At every UH breastfeeding center, certified lactation consultants are available to work with you and your infant to ensure a successful and satisfying experience.
Options for Breastfeeding Support
Once you and your baby are home, our international board-certified lactation consultants can offer comprehensive breastfeeding support in several different ways:
- Phone advice or in-person appointment (Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Call lactation services at either MacDonald Lactation Center at University Hospitals Landerbrook Health Center at 440-995-3830 or University Hospitals Westlake Health Center at 440-250-2035 for phone advice or to schedule an in-person appointment.
- In-person breastfeeding support services are available at the following locations:
- University Hospitals MacDonald Women’s Hospital
- UH Rainbow Center for Women & Children
- UH Landerbrook Health Center
- UH Westlake Health Center
- Tele-lactation virtual visit: In addition to our phone and in-person breastfeeding support, mothers can now conveniently access breastfeeding assistance from home. This virtual conversation with a certified lactation consultant assists breastfeeding mothers in their homes, via secure online two-way video on your personal device such as tablet or smartphone. To find out more about this valuable service, refer to our frequently asked questions.
Call University Hospitals Lactation Services at 440-995-3830 with any additional questions or to schedule an appointment. You can speak to one of our lactation consultants, who will help determine the best type of visit for you and your baby.
Breastfeeding Supplies & Resources
Electric breast pumps, rentals/sales, maternity/breastfeeding bras and other lactation resources are available. If you are looking for supplies or other breastfeeding resources, call the MacDonald Lactation Center at University Hospitals Landerbrook Health Center at 440-995-3830, or University Hospitals Westlake Health Center at 440-250-2035.
Recognition for Lactation Support and Breastfeeding Services
University Hospitals is committed to providing comprehensive breastfeeding services for mothers and babies. Several of our facilities have earned recognition for their lactation resources:
Baby Friendly-Designated Hospitals: UH Cleveland and UH Elyria medical centers have both been recognized as Baby Friendly Hospitals for their emphasis on breastfeeding services and mother/baby bonding.First Steps for Healthy Babies: This breastfeeding initiative from the Ohio Hospital Association and the Ohio Department of Health honors Ohio hospitals for their lactation resources. Their star-rating system recognized the following UH facilities:
- Five-Star Hospital: UH Cleveland Medical Center, UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital and UH Elyria Medical Center
- Four-Star Hospital: UH Portage Medical Center and UH St. John Medical Center
- Three-Star Hospital: UH Geauga Medical Center
First Step for Healthy Babies also recognized the following hospitals for being a "Bag Free Facility" in 2019:
- UH Cleveland Medical Center
- UH Elyria Medical Center
- UH Geauga Medical Center
- UH Portage Medical Center
- UH Samaritan Medical Center
IBCLC Care Award: This award recognizes hospitals and other birthing facilities that hire current International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) certificants and have a dedicated lactation center and support program. IBCLC Care Award recipients include: