UH Elyria Medical Center

Providing Expert Health Care to Lorain County and the Surrounding Areas

For more than 100 years, University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center has been serving the health care needs of the residents of Lorain County and western Cuyahoga County. Our expert team utilizes state-of-the-art technology and the latest treatments to provide high-quality care for adults and children.

Our services include a 24/7 emergency department, heart and vascular care, orthopedic services, a family birth center, and mental health care. The 387-licensed bed hospital includes additional campuses in Amherst, Avon and Sheffield, plus medical offices in North Ridgeville and Westlake.

Learn More About UH Elyria Medical Center

History of UH Elyria Medical Center

On May 28, 1907, a committee of prominent community members, including F.A. Smythe, E.F. Allen and Reverend John P. Sala, met to discuss the need for a permanent hospital in the city. Three days later, a tragic streetcar accident led to the creation of what is now University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center. On June 4, 1907, a hospital company was incorporated and a $100,000 building fund was established.

More than a dozen sites were considered before a four-acre tract of land on East River Street was purchased. Under the guidance of a newly-elected Board of Trustees, Elyria Memorial Hospital opened on October 30, 1908 with 36 beds.

In addition to the creation of the hospital, Edgar Allen turned the loss of his son in the streetcar accident into positive momentum to build the Gates Hospital for Crippled Children, the first hospital in the nation devoted exclusively to the care and treatment of crippled children.Allen eventually formed the Ohio, National and International Societies for Crippled Children and through his efforts, the Easter Seals Society was born in 1935. An Ohio Historical Marker commemorating Allen's work currently stands on the grounds of UH Elyria Medical Center.

Suggested For You