Cardiovascular Rehabilitation at University Hospitals Helps Patients Return to an Active Lifestyle
University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute’s Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Program in Cleveland, Ohio, begins during hospitalization and continues in a safe, supervised outpatient setting. This cardiac rehab program provides the right tools for a successful outcome, including:
- Cardiovascular risk factor modification services
- Patient and family support
Candidates for Cardiovascular Rehab
Candidates for cardiovascular rehabilitation at UH include individuals who have had at least one of the following:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Angioplasty or stent
- Heart transplant
Rehabilitation Emphasizes Exercise, Nutrition and Stress Reduction
Our state-of-the-art cardiovascular rehabilitation team is comprised of highly skilled nurses, exercise physiologists, registered dietitians, pharmacists, psychologists and cardiologists who work together to help patients return to an active lifestyle. Cardiac rehabilitation at UH typically includes a 12-week, 36-session program. Our patients receive personalized instruction in the following areas:
- Stress reduction
- Smoking cessation
- Education on how the heart works
Advantages to Cardiac Rehabilitation
Patients benefit from cardiac rehabilitation by:
- Getting stronger, feeling better and returning to everyday activities
- Reducing the risk of future cardiovascular illness and events
- Receiving enhanced psychological and social support
- Modifying cardiac risk factors
Three-Phase Approach for Complete Rehabilitation
Unlike other cardiac rehabs, ours unique program consists of three crucial phases:
- Phase 1 – This phase begins in the hospital during the patient’s recovery from a heart event or surgery. Physicians, exercise physiologists, dietitians and nurses educate the patient and family on the heart condition. Patients then receive recommendations, exercise support and information on cardiovascular risk factors to ensure appropriate care once they leave the hospital.
- Phase 2 – This outpatient program takes place in a monitored environment and consists of electrocardiogram (EKG)-monitored exercise, education and cardiovascular risk factor reduction. Our cardiovascular rehab team develops an individualized plan of care based on each patient’s needs and goals.
- Phase 3 – This phase, designed to help patients build a lifelong commitment to cardiovascular risk factor modification while preventing future heart events, provides the following:
- Medically supervised exercise training sessions, using cardiovascular and resistance training equipment in a group setting to teach proper technique and safety.
- Exercise prescription tailored to each patient’s unique cardiovascular diagnosis, risk factors, physical limitations, exercise test results and health conditions.
- Education and counseling to help patients understand their specific heart condition and how to reduce the risk of future heart problems. Counseling topics may include coronary heart disease, medications, risk factor reduction, depression, stress management, nutrition, weight loss and exercise.
University Hospitals also offers specialized cardiovascular support through Mended Hearts. Mended Hearts is a national organization that has been providing support and inspiring hope in heart disease patients and their families for more than 60 years. Mended Hearts of Greater Cleveland is a chapter of this national nonprofit organization.
Mended Hearts helps people understand that there can be a rich, rewarding life after a heart event. The group brings patients, families and caregivers together to form a network of caring individuals. Members listen, share their experiences and learn from health care professionals.
If you would like to speak to someone who has been through heart surgery, attend an upcoming support group meeting, or obtain more information, visit the Mended Hearts of Greater Cleveland website at MendedHearts138.org or call 216-264-0138. For our national office, visit MendedHearts.org.
Cardiovascular Rehab Services at Convenient Locations
University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute provides our comprehensive Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Program at the following locations:
University Hospitals Minoff Health Center at Chagrin Highlands
3909 Orange Place, Suite 3300
Orange Village, Ohio 44122
We accept most major insurance plans and will check your insurance coverage prior to starting a program. You must have a physician referral to enroll in a program.