Our Radiation Oncology Technology
Radiation oncology, an integral part of University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center in Cleveland, Ohio, and Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, is setting national standards for the delivery of the most effective cancer treatment and research.
The Department of Radiation Oncology provides individualized consultation and treatment for both pediatric and adult cancers. In addition, we offer northeast Ohio the region’s most comprehensive array of advanced cancer technologies.
Breakthrough Cancer Treatments
Our highly skilled physicians provide expanded radiation oncology and sophisticated therapies that lead to better outcomes in cancer cures, management and symptom control.
Examples of breakthrough cancer treatments at University Hospitals include:
- Using the latest computer technology to improve cancer treatment planning and delivery
- Targeting cancer tissue with radiation while sparing nearby healthy, normal tissue
- Using a combination of radiation oncology and drug therapy or cancer surgery
Innovative Radiation Options
A variety of advanced radiation treatment options are available at UH Seidman Cancer Center, including:
- Gamma Knife®
- High Dose Rate Brachytherapy
- Low Dose Rate Brachytherapy
- Linear Accelerator
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT)
- Proton Therapy
Organ Preservation Focus with Advanced Technology
Many of the advanced technology treatment options at the Department of Radiation Oncology at UH Seidman Cancer Center allow for greater protection of surrounding organ tissue. This ability to target radiation directly at prostate, penile, head, neck or tongue tumors, as well as tumors in other organs, protects more of the healthy tissue and leads to a greater percentage of organ preservation.