Search Pediatric Endocrinology
Search services by specialty, treatment or condition below or choose one of our featured services.
Family-Centered Care for Endocrine Conditions
Pediatric endocrinologists at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s are experts in diagnosing and treating children with endocrine disorders. Made up of the glands that produce hormones, the endocrine system regulates almost everything that happens in the body, controlling growth, puberty, processing food and water, and maintaining the proper levels of blood sugar. The endocrine system functions as the body’s central computer, monitoring systems and issuing orders to ensure everything runs correctly and smoothly.
Endocrine Disorders We Treat
When the endocrine system malfunctions, problems arise. This is where UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s endocrinology specialists team steps in, offering comprehensive and collaborative treatment for various endocrine disorders, including:
- Type 1 Diabetes: Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that damages the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. People with type 1 diabetes must take insulin every day to live.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Type 2 diabetes happens when the body cannot produce enough insulin or is not able to use it properly. It is often linked to obesity and may be controlled with diet, exercise and weight loss. In some cases, oral medicines or insulin injections are needed for treatment.
- Childhood Obesity: Unaddressed childhood obesity can lead to several health problems, including diabetes, heart issues and an increased risk for some cancers. Diet, exercise and sometimes medications can help children get their weight under control and also maintain it to live happy, healthy lives.
- Growth Issues: Although there are many possible causes for growth disorders in children, some are tied to hormonal imbalances. We can determine if your child has an adrenal gland disorder, thyroid and parathyroid problem, pituitary gland disorder or other condition that can be treated efficiently for hormonal balance.
- Other Endocrine Disorders: We also diagnose and treat rarer and more complex endocrine issues. Any time you or your pediatrician suspect a problem with your child’s hormonal and metabolic systems, we can work with you to get to the bottom of the issue.
Offering Coordinated, Interdisciplinary Care for Endocrine System Issues
Whether a child has diabetes, growth issues or a rare condition involving hormonal imbalances, UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s pediatric endocrinology team has the broad experience and expertise to help you and your child get to the root of the problem. Our diverse care team works together to provide a highly coordinated, multidisciplinary plan that includes families as an essential part of the team, every step of the way.
We walk you through how to monitor your child’s health, administer medication, spot problems and know when to reach out for additional help or guidance. Our 24/7/365 access ensures we are there for you whenever you need us.
Recognizing the Differences Between Young Children and Teens
Since the impact of diabetes or other endocrine issues is different in teenagers than in younger children, we take a slightly different approach with older patients. For example, teen’s blood sugar can have wider swings for a variety of reasons, including hormonal changes or less parental involvement in monitoring and medicating. We partner with you and your teen to develop practical strategies for controlling their endocrine disorder.
Dealing with diabetes medication and equipment during adolescence can be frustrating or lead to anxiety and depression in some cases. Our pediatric endocrine psychologists work with adolescent and teen patients to help them navigate work with adolescent and teen diabetic patients to help them navigate this challenging time. We also offer group sessions where teenagers with diabetes gather together to receive education, training and group support that includes the ability to network and share experiences.