Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
The PICU is a 20 bed combined medical-surgical unit which cares for more than 1600 critically ill children each year.
An attending intensivist from the Division of Pediatric Critical Care coordinates all care, in close cooperation with the child’s medical and surgical subspecialists.
Admission to the PICU can be arranged through Pediatric Intensive Care Transport Service at 216-844-1111. For specific information or consultation with the intensive care physicians, please call 216-844-3310.
PICU General Orientation Information
- To protect patients from infection, please wash your hands often.
- We have comfortable sleeping accommodations for 1 parent.
- Parents and guardians are encouraged and welcome to stay with their child 24 hours a day. Visitors may visit from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Child visitation is only offered to siblings due to the extreme nature of the PICU. Please discuss sibling visits with your child’s nurse or child life specialist. We limit the number of visitors to 4 in the room at a time.
- All parents, visitors and siblings will need to obtain a FAST pass at the main entrance on the first floor. Please use the black phone just outside the PICU family entrance to enter and exit the PICU. This ensures the safety and confidentiality of all patients and families in the PICU.
- Parents, guardians and other family members are encouraged to participate in their child’s care as much as is comfortable. Please ask if you have any questions – 24 hours a day.
- UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Get Up N Go is a PICU-based initiative promoting early rehabilitation and progressive mobility to minimize the impact of critical illness on your children. Patient and family-centered care promotes normal sleep-wake cycles and physical therapy routines to enhance recovery. Please talk to your nurse or our child life specialist for more information.