Safety on a Budget with the Rainbow Safety Store
In these tough economic times, most of us are thinking twice about how we spend our money. Here is the good news: Keeping your children safe does not have to be expensive.
There are plenty of free things parents can do, and low-cost safety devices that can help make homes safer without breaking the budget. Consider the following tips to get started:
- Keep an eye on your children at all times. This is the best way to keep children safe and it does not cost a penny.
- Keep poisonous items like medicines and cleaners locked away and out of reach of children.
- Do not let children play on stairs, furniture, balconies, roofs, streets or parking lots.
- Practice an escape plan with your family in case of a fire or other disaster.
- Cook on back burners and keep handles facing away from the front of the stove so curious children cannot pull hot contents down on themselves.
- Tape up any loose rugs firmly to the floor/carpet to avoid slips and slides of running toddlers.
Keeping Children Safe Is Priceless: The Safety Store Can Help
Located at the atrium entrance to University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, the Safety Store offers a wide range of safety products. All items are sold at cost, well below retail prices.
Some of the products we offer include:
- Baby-proofing items
- Booster seats
- Car seats
- Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Personal safety items like medical alert IDs
- Special needs products like wheelchair ponchos and evacuation mats
- Sports safety items like bike and ski helmets
The Safety Store is run by the Rainbow Injury Prevention Center.
How to Place Orders
Stop by the Safety Store, or download the Order Form, to view items in the display case and read descriptions in the product selection book, then order by using the Safety Store phone to call 42277 and choosing option 2 for the Safety Store. Follow the posted directions to pay for your items and you will be contacted by a Safety Store staff member to arrange delivery of your order.
If you are not at the hospital, you can reach the store by calling 216-844-2277 and selecting Option 2. If you call after hours, someone will get back to you the next business day. You will have to pick up any purchase you make, as the shop does not ship.
The Safety Store provides a convenient opportunity for families to get a wide range of safety products at great prices.