Pediatric Spine Research Publications
All of our pediatric orthopedic spine research starts with the database. As a result of our research collaboration with other hospitals, departments and databases national and international, there are over 75 publications citations in peer reviewed journals by our faculty in PubMed and 150 national and international presentations, and 100 posters. Major changes have occurred in the care of pediatric spine patients in our institution and other programs because of our ongoing research work including:
- Decreasing Perioperative Blood Loss
- Growing Spine Studies
- Infection Protocol Studies
- Pain Management
- Spinal Cord Monitoring
- Waldron SR, Poe-Kochert C, Son-Hing JP, Thompson GH: Early Onset Scoliosis: The Value of Serial Risser Casts. J Pediatr Orthop 33: 775-780, 2013
- Johnston CE II, McClung A, Thompson GH, Poe-Kochert C, Sanders JA: Comparison of Growing Rod Instrumentation versus Serial Cast Treatment for Early-Onset Scoliosis. Spine Deform 1:339-342, 2013.
Decreasing Perioperative Blood Loss
Because of our focus for the past 15 years, our advancements have resulted in marked reduction of perioperative blood loss and virtually eliminated the need for autologous blood donation. We have collaborated with Division of Pediatric Anesthesia on this topic.
- Hardesty CK, Gordon ZL, Poe-Kochert C, Son-Hing JP, Thompson GH: Bipolar Sealer Devices Used in Posterior Spinal Fusion for Posterior Spinal Fusion for Neuromuscular Scoliosis Reduce Blood Loss and Transfusion Requirements. JPO 2018 Feb;38(2):e78-e82.
- Gordon ZL, Son-Hing JP, Poe-Kochert C, Thompson GH: Bipolar Sealer Device Reduces Blood Loss and Transfusion Requirements in Posterior Spinal Fusion for Idiopathic Scoliosis. J Pediatr Orthop 33: 700-706, 2013
- Thompson GH, Florentino-Pineda I, Poe-Kochert C, Armstrong DG, Son-Hing JP: Amicar in surgery for neuromuscular scoliosis: Spine 33:2623-2629,2008.
- Thompson GH, Florentino-Pineda I, Poe-Kochert C, Armstrong DG, Son-Hing JP: The role of Amicar in same-day anterior and posterior spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis. Spine 33:2248-2251, 2008.
- Thompson GH, Florentino-Pineda I, Armstrong DG, Poe-Kochert C: Fibrinogen levels following Amicar in surgery for idiopathic scoliosis. Spine 32: 368-372, 2007.
- Thompson GH, Florentino-Pineda I, Poe-Kochert C: The role of Amicar in decreasing perioperative blood loss in idiopathic scoliosis. Spine 30 :( 17 Suppl) S94-S99, 2005
- Florentino-Pineda I, Thompson GH, Poe-Kochert C, Huang RP, Haber LL, Blakemore LC: The effect of Amicar on perioperative blood loss in idiopathic scoliosis. The results of a prospective, randomized double-blind study. Spine 29: 233-238, 2004.
- Florentino-Pineda I, Blakemore LC, Thompson GH, Poe-Kochert C, Adler P, Tripi P: The Effect of epsilon-aminocaproic acid on perioperative blood loss in patients with idiopathic scoliosis undergoing posterior spinal fusion: A preliminary prospective study. Spine 25:1147-51, 2001.
Growing Spine Studies
- Poe-Kochert C, Shannon C, Pawelek, JB, Thompson GH, Hardesty CK, Marks DS Akbarnia BA, McCarthy RE, Emans JB: Growing Spine Study Group. Final Fusion after Growing Rod Treatment for Early Onset Scoliosis: Is it Really Final? J Bone Joint Surg Am 98: 1913-1917, 2016.
- Yang JS, Sponseller PD, Thompson GH, Akbarnia BA, Emans JB, Yazici M, Skaggs DL, Shah SA, Salari P, Poe-Kochert C: Growing Rod Fractures: Risk Factors and Opportunities for Prevention. Spine 36:1639-1644; 2011.
- Elsebai, Hazeem B.; Yazici, Muharrem; Thompson, George H.; Emans, John B.; Skaggs, David L.; Crawford, Alvin H.; Karlin, Lawrence I.; McCarthy, Richard E.; Poe-Kochert, Connie; Kostial, Patricia; Akbarnia, Behrooz A: Safety and Efficacy and Growing Rod Technique for Pediatric Congenital Spinal Deformities. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 31(1):1-5, January/February 2011.
- Bess S, Akbarnia BA, Thompson GH, Sponseller PD, Shah S, El Sebai H, Boachie-Adjei O, Karlin LI, Canale S, Poe-Kochert C, Skaggs DL: Complications of Growing-Rod Treatment for Early-Onset Scoliosis: Analysis of One Hundred and Forty Patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 92: 2533-2543, 2010.
- Sponseller PD, Yang JS, Thompson GH, McCarthy RE, Emans JB, Skaggs DL, Asher MA, Yazici M, Poe-Kochert C, Kostial P, Akbarnia BA: Pelvic Fixation of Growing Rods: Comparison of Constructs. Spine 34:1706-1710, 2009
- Thompson GH, Akbarnia BA, Kostial P, Poe-Kochert C, Armstrong DG, Roh J, Lowe R, Asher MA, Marks DS: Comparison of single and dual growing rod techniques followed through definitive surgery. A preliminary study. Spine 30:2039-2044, 2005.
- Blakemore LC, Scoles PV, Poe-Kochert C, Thompson GH: Submuscular Isola rod with or without limited apical fusion in the management of severe spinal deformities in young children: Preliminary report. Spine 26:2044-2048, 2001.
Infection Protocol Studies
Our infection prevention bundle was effective in decreasing the rates of surgical site infections.
- Du JY, Poe-Kochert C, Thompson GH, Son-Hing JP, Hardesty CK, Mistovich RJ: Risk Factors for Early Infection in Pediatric Spinal Deformity Surgery: A Multivariate Analysis. Spine Deform 7: 410-416, 2019.
- Thompson GH, Poe-Kochert C, Hardesty CK, Son-Hing JP, Mistovich: Does Vancomycin Powder Decrease Surgical Site Infections in Growing Spine Surgery? A Preliminary Study. JP J Bone Joint Surg Am 99: 2017
- Jerry Du; Connie Poe-Kochert; George Thompson; Jochen Son-Hing; Christina Hardesty; Ronald Justin Mistovich: Early Deep Surgical Site Infection Following 740 Primary Single-stage Pediatric Scoliosis Surgery: A Multivariate Analysis of Risk Factors. Case Orthop J 13; 85-92, 2017
- Du J, Poe-Kochert C, Thompson GH, Son-Hing JP, Hardesty CK, Mistovich RJ: One-Stage or Two? A Cohort Analysis of Anterior-Posterior Spinal Fusions for Sever Pediatric Scoliosis. Spine Deform 7: 2019 (in Press).
- Knapik DM, Hardesty CK, Poe-Kochert C, Son-Hing JP, Thompson GH: Adjuvant Use of Universal Clamp Fixation in Treatment of Non-Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine Deform 7: 2019 (In Press).
- Abola MV, Hardesty CK, Knapik DM, Poe-Kochert C, Son-Hing JP, Thompson GH: Incidence of Complete Spinal Instrumentation Removal Following Surgery for Spinal Deformity: A 22-Year Single Institution Study. J Pediatr Orthop-B 28: 380-384. 2019.
- Dickson D, Poe-Kochert C, Son-Hing JP, Armstrong DG, Thompson GH: Retrospective assessment of dual foundations in the correction of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS). J Clin Orthop 3 (Suppl 1);520, 554, 2009.
- Son-Hing J, Blakemore LC, Poe-Kochert C, Thompson GH: Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) in idiopathic scoliosis: Is there a significant learning curve? Spine 32, 703-707, 2007
- Moyer KA, Thompson GH. Poe-Kochert C, Spawlaski J: Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome Complicated by Gastric Necrosis Following Congenital Scoliosis Surgery: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connector, Vol. 9, No. 3, July-September 2019.
- Carender CN, Morris WZ, Poe-Kochert C, Thompson GH, Son-Hing JP, Liu RW: Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016 May;41(9):792-7. Low Pelvic Incidence Is Associated With Proximal Junctional Kyphosis in Patients Treated With Growing Rods.
- Hardesty C, Poe-Kochert C, Son-Hing J, Thompson GH: Obesity Negatively Affects Spinal Surgery in Idiopathic Scoliosis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (2013) 471:1230-1235
- Master DL, Son-Hing JP, Poe-Kochert C, Armstrong DG, Thompson GH: Risk Factors for Major Complications Following Surgery for Neuromuscular Scoliosis Spine 36:2011.
- Manjila S, Kunes J, Thompson G, Poe-Kochert C, Cohen A: Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Following Spinal Deformity Surgery. Neurosurgery Focus. 31(4):E20, 2011.
- Master DL, Poe-Kochert C, Son-Hing J, Armstrong DG, Thompson GH: Wound Infections Following Surgery for Neuromuscular Scoliosis: Risk Factors and Treatment Outcomes. Spine 36:2011. E179-185, 2011.
We studied alternatives for better pain control after major spine surgery and overall less pain medication is used.
- Ina J, Poe-Kochert C, Hardesty C, Son-Hing J, Tripi, Thompson GH: Intrathecal Morphine in the Presence of a Syrinx in Pediatric Spinal Deformity Surgery. J Pediatr Orthop 40, 2020 (In Press).
- Poe-Kochert C, Hardesty, C, Thompson GH, Son-Hing, J, Ina J, Tripi P: The Safety and Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine in Early Onset Scoliosis Surgery - a 25 Year Single Center Experience. Journal of Children's Orthopaedics 13 (Suppl 1): S30 and S31.
- Tripi PA, Kuestner ME, Poe-Kochert CS, Rubin K, Son-Hing JP, Thompson GH, Tobias JD: Intrathecal Morphine Attenuates Acute Opioid Tolerance Secondary to Remifentanil Infusions During spinal Surgery in Adolescents. J of Pain Research 2015:8 637-640.
- Thompson GH, Son-Hing JP, Poe-Kochert C, Tripi PA, Potzman J: Intrathecal Morphine Analgesia in Idiopathic Scoliosis Surgery. Does Gender or Racial Group Affect Optimal Dosing? J Pediatr Orthop 31; 2011.
- Poe-Kochert C, Tripi PA, Potzman J, Son-Hing JP, Thompson, GH: Continuous Intravenous Morphine Infusion for Postoperative Analgesia following Posterior Spinal Fusion for Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine35;2010 (7):754-7
- Tripi PA, Poe-Kochert C, Potzman J, Son-Hing J, Thompson GH: Pain Management in Surgery for Idiopathic Surgery. European Musculoskeletal Review 2009; 4(1):41-43.
- Tripi P, Poe-Kochert C, Potzman J, Thompson G: Intrathecal Morphine use for Postoperative Analgesia in patients with idiopathic scoliosis undergoing posterior spinal fusion. Spine 33:2237-2242, 2008.
Spinal Cord Monitoring
- Master DL, Thompson GH, Poe-Kochert C, Biro C: Spinal cord monitoring for scoliosis surgery in Rett syndrome: can these patients be accurately monitored? J Pediatr. Orthop., 28:342-346, 2008.