Training Tomorrow's Leaders in Otolaryngology Care
One of the missions of the Otolaryngology Medical Education Program at Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center is to train future leaders through our residency program. This renowned five-year Otolaryngology Residency Program allows residents to gain experience in diagnosing and treating the full range of adult and pediatric ENT disorders through rotations in all major areas of otolaryngology. Residents receive hands-on training in the surgical management of ENT conditions and diseases and have access to specialized labs to hone their skills. In addition, residents engage in research and attend conferences to further explore the various aspects of otolaryngology care.
Five-Year Otolaryngology Residency
Since the incoming class of 2013, the ENT Residency Training Program at UH Cleveland Medical Center accepts four residents per year. During our five-year program, residents have exposure to the full spectrum of otolaryngology.
Four Training Institutions
We are proud to offer our otolaryngology residents the opportunity to train at four separate institutions. Each site offers a unique patient population and hospital system that builds a well-rounded clinical experience over the course of five years.
- University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center: a private tertiary care referral hospital and Level 1 Trauma Center.
- UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital: consistently ranked as one of the top children's hospitals in America.
- Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center: a busy VA health care system with a full range of up-to-date facilities.
- MetroHealth Medical Center: an outstanding county hospital providing care in all specialties and a busy Level 1 trauma center.
Our Program Aims
- To train competent physicians with regard to all subspecialties of Otolaryngology
- To match ½ of our trainees in to otolaryngology subspecialty fellowships
- Educate physicians in the methods of scientific inquiry to promote life long learning, quality improvement and research
- To train half of our residents to become leaders in academic medicine
ENT Research and Teaching Skills
The Otolaryngology Residency Program fosters the development of residents' teaching abilities and hones research skills. Each resident in the Otolaryngology Residency Program also participates actively in their own quality improvement project and has access to the ENT High-Reliability Medicine and Clinical Effectiveness Task Forces. Residents are encouraged to develop their own personal interest within our diverse field, whether this includes an academic career or private practice.
In addition to hands on clinical training, the residents participate in an in-depth research curriculum which culminates in the writing of a CORE style Grant and submission prior to their PGY 3 research rotation.
Innovation and Improvement in Residency Training
Our faculty are engaged and dedicated mentors, encouraging innovation and improvement in patient care and residency training. Our otolaryngology residents emerge with a wealth of operative experience that prepares them well for private practice as well as academic fellowships and careers. Life in Cleveland offers a vibrant cultural arts center, a diverse and ever-growing food scene and three major league sports teams.
Residency Contact Information
Sarah Mowry, MD
Residency Program Director, Otolaryngology Residency
Life in Cleveland Has So Much to Offer
Whether you are interested in exploring the rich cultural history of its neighborhoods or eating at one of its many award-winning eateries, Cleveland has something for everyone.