Liver Transplant at University Hospitals Transplant Institute Offers Excellent Clinical Outcomes
The Liver Transplantation Program at University Hospitals, part of UH Transplant Institute, is dedicated to offering the very best medical care to patients and providing excellent clinical outcomes.
Our leading-edge liver transplant experts are passionate in offering all possible treatment options and improving the quality of life for patients with end-stage liver disease.
Liver Transplants Give Patients Another Chance At Life
Chronic liver disease is a major cause of illness and death in the U.S. today. Initially, patients may have no signs or symptoms of liver disease. Yet when symptoms do occur, a liver transplant may be the best option for good quality of life.
The Liver Transplant Program at UH is an innovative program that offers organ transplants for many conditions, including:
- Abstinent alcoholic liver disease
- Ascites that does not respond to diuretics
- Budd-Chiari Syndrome
- Cirrhosis with acute or chronic gastrointestinal bleeding
- Cirrhosis with liver mass on imaging study
- Cirrhosis due to chronic hepatitis
- Elevated alfa-fetoprotein
- Liver masses and primary liver cancers seen on ultrasound, CT or MRI
- Symptomatic polycystic liver disease
Multidisciplinary Team of Skilled Specialists
Our Liver Transplant Program brings together a multidisciplinary team of highly skilled medical experts who are experienced in treating patients with end-stage liver disease.
The UH Transplant Institute is composed of:
- Hepatologists (liver specialists)
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons-trained transplant surgeons
- Transplant nurse coordinators
- Cardiologists (heart specialists)
- Pulmonologists (lung specialists)
- Infectious disease specialists
- Transplant pharmacists
- Social workers with expertise in liver transplantation
- Transplant dietitians
- Transplant financial counselors
UH Transplant Institute also brings together experts from:
- Physical therapy
- Addiction medicine
The Liver Transplant Process
Experts at UH Transplant Institute help patients and their families feel comfortable and confident throughout the entire organ transplant procedure. Our team of board-certified physicians, surgeons, nurses and support staff assists patients, as they become active participants in their care and learn all they can about each phase of the liver transplantation process. This begins with the first evaluation and continues on through the post-transplant visits.
To support patients throughout the entire liver transplantation process, our highly skilled staff is available around the clock to answer patient questions.
Convenient Transplant Care in Northeast Ohio
As a comprehensive transplant program, we believe that local access to information about the liver transplant process is necessary for patients to consider transplant as an option. That is why UH Transplant Institute has also established a satellite Education and Evaluation Center in Akron, Ohio, bringing transplant education and evaluation services to Summit County and surrounding communities in Northeast Ohio.
A superior team of transplant specialists from University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center provides services at our satellite location, which include:
- Determination of transplant candidacy
- Partnership with local providers to improve timely referral
- Patient education about organ failure and liver transplant
The actual transplant procedure and follow-up care are performed at UH Cleveland Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio.