Center for Comprehensive Care Offers Inpatient Consultations and Outpatient Care
The Center for Comprehensive Care at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital offers inpatient consultations for children and young adults who are hospitalized with complex medical problems. Some of these children are frequently hospitalized because of complications related to their disabilities.
The Center for Comprehensive Care works closely with the child’s pediatrician and specialty physicians to offer medical, nursing, nutrition and social work services. Our team helps navigate services for children in coordination with community and educational services and the hospital. Parents can schedule appointments for consultation or sick visits, and will continue utilizing their child’s pediatrician or primary care provider for routine well visits, immunizations and sick visits for less complex medical needs.
Services We Provide
Families participating in the Center for Comprehensive Care receive:
- Consultations regarding specific medical, nutritional, psychosocial or care coordination issues (upon request by physician or family member)
- 24/7 phone access to clinicians experienced in complex, chronic pediatric care
- Sick visit appointments typically within 24 to 48 hours
- Continuity of care to prevent fragmented care
- Attention to the complete medical, developmental, social and quality of life needs of the child with a complex, chronic condition
- Assistance with resource navigation within the hospital and community-at-large
- Advocacy for patient and family service needs, goals and choices
- Consultation during hospitalizations
- Assistance and navigation through general medical care within specialty clinics
Our team is also available to consult as families make critical decisions regarding medical or surgical treatments and palliative care, which is care that focuses on the relief of pain, symptoms, and stress of serious illness.