Excellent Cancer Care and Support Services for Children and Families
The Pediatric Blood & Marrow Transplant Center at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital’s Angie Fowler Adolescent & Young Adult Cancer Institute and UH Seidman Cancer Center offers superb cancer treatment for children.
Working closely with highly trained sub-specialists, our team’s proficiency ensures the highest level of expertise for children and extends to the two most frequent transplant complications:
- Acute lung dysfunction
- Graft-versus-host disease
Comfort and Quality Care for Families
Realizing that families want to stay close to a child undergoing bone marrow or stem cell treatment, UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital offers the following in close proximity to the child’s room:
- Sleeping couches in patient rooms
- Washers and dryers
- Community rooms and the rooftop healing garden
- Exercise facilities
Ronlad McDonald Family Room
In addition, UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital provides comfort and privacy through the Ronald McDonald Family Room. This is a relaxing space within the hospital where parents and families can go to get away while still being close to the child.
To provide a quiet place of refuge for families, the Ronald McDonald Family Room is equipped with:
- Dining space and refreshments
Our family-centered support also includes:
- Child life specialists to assist families and children in managing the hospital experience
- Daily art and music therapy programs
- School programs with on-site teachers to help children stay up-to-date with school work, as well as a program to get them back to school quickly
- Pet Pals, providing fun visits from loveable animals
- The Rainbow Channel, the hospital’s own fun and interactive television channel for children and families in our care
- Access close to home through three regional sites in northern Ohio
Ambulatory and Outpatient Care at University Hospitals
Ambulatory and outpatient care is obtained through University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center. Children may receive chemotherapy infusions, blood component transfusions, stem cell infusions and extensive evaluations without having to be admitted to the hospital.
The pediatric bone marrow transplant (BMT) program is fully integrated with University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center's nationally recognized adult stem cell transplant program. Patients receive their inpatient care in a HEPA-filtered unit designated for immuno-compromised patients at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio.
For more information about the Pediatric Blood & Marrow Transplant Center, call 877-546-0705