Psychiatry Clerkship VA Medical Center Site
The Psychiatry Core Clerkship at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is performed during third year and is designated as part of Case Western Reserve University SOM Block 3. Students include Case Western Reserve University SOM MSIII students and LECOM MSIII students.
Psychiatry Clerkship Duration
The Psychiatry Core Clerkship at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center duration is four weeks total, all on inpatient psychiatry. The clerkship does not have any on-call or weekend duties.
Orientation day includes a full day of orientation information and a lecture on the Mental Status Examination.
Thursday Afternoon Lectures
Held from 1:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. and lectures cover a range of psychiatry topics, including:
- Anxiety disorders: Phenomenology and neurobiology
- Mood disorders: Phenomenology and neurobiology
- Personality disorders: Phenomenology and neurobiology
- Pharmacology: Antidepressants and antimanics
- Pharmacology: Antipsychotics
- Pharmacology: Anxiolytics
- Schizophrenia: Phenomenology and neurobiology
- Substance abuse: Diagnosis and treatment
Psychodynamic Psychiatry Seminars
Held on Mondays from 1 - 2 p.m. and seminars cover a range of psychiatry topics, including:
- Delirium and dementia
- The Natural history of schizophrenia
- The psychodynamics of reactive depression
Psychodynamic Psychiatry Case Conferences
Psychodynamic Psychiatry Case Conferences are held on Tuesdays from 1 - 2 p.m.
Medical students work directly under an attending psychiatrist. They are assigned up to four patients and are responsible for patient interviews, daily notes, entering orders, admission H/P's and discharge summaries. Students receive daily individual supervision from their attending. The Psychodynamic Psychiatry seminar case conference series is conducted by a psychoanalytically trained senior professor of Psychiatry.