Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship Program
Thank you for your interest in the Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery Fellowship at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital. Our faculty consists of six fellowship-trained pediatric orthopedic surgeons and select members of University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, including our oncology, hand, spine, trauma and sports medicine divisions. All directly collaborate for a full complement of exposure to the breadth of pediatric orthopaedic surgery. Our surgeons have a wide range of subspecialty interests, have trained at some of the best programs in North America, and are national leaders in their subspecialties. This brings a diverse range of experiences and philosophies to the program. Our research program is further enhanced by research fellows, research coordinators, and Dr. George Thompson, Professor Emeritus.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: Commensurate with University Hospitals PGY-6 level ($72,000 + benefits for 2020)
Time Away: 3 weeks paid vacation + 15 days for courses/meetings + 10 days for job interviews
Some of the subspecialty areas of interest that our pediatric orthopedic fellowship covers include:
- Spine: All aspects of advanced spinal deformity and treatment modalities including adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, vertebral body tethering, early onset scoliosis, traditional and magnetic growing rods, congenital scoliosis, three column osteotomies, thoracic insufficiency syndrome, VEPTR, and neuromuscular deformity
- Deformity: Complex osteotomies, limb lengthening and limb deformity correction
- Hip and pelvic disorders
- Hip preservation
- Sports medicine: Upper and lower extremity sports injuries, cartilage restoration, and arthroscopy in the skeletally immature athlete
- Neuromuscular rehabilitation: Spasticity management and comprehensive care for neuromuscular disorders
- Pediatric musculoskeletal trauma: Rainbow Babies is Northeast Ohio’s only tertiary Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Our trauma experience is further enhanced by our affiliation with MetroHealth Medical Center, our county hospital and a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center
- Musculoskeletal bone and soft tissue tumors
Visit Pediatric Orthopedics on UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital to meet our faculty.
U.S. News & World Report Rankings
Our program is consistently ranked in the top 20 nationally. With our affiliation with Case Western Reserve University, you will work with and have the opportunity to teach some of the brightest medical students and orthopedic residents in the country and have access to world-class research facilities. The pediatric orthopedic division at UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital provides a robust clinical and operative experience, with over 28,000 emergency room visits, nearly 1,000 orthopedic surgeries, and nearly 12,000 outpatient clinical visits annually.
Cleveland is a wonderful community with world-renowned cultural attractions including the Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland Art Museum, professional sports, a nationally respected culinary scene, diverse neighborhoods, beaches and other lakefront attractions, and some of the nicest people you could hope to meet. All this in a city with a low cost of living makes it very affordable to live well during your time here.
We pride ourselves on our commitment to education, viewing the role of the fellow as a junior colleague we are mentoring for long-term career success. Your experience is custom-tailored to your unique long-term professional goals, while still providing you with the complete range of experiences in pediatric orthopedic surgery. This will allow you to develop your own area of interest yet make you widely qualified for any specific need in a potential job, as well as provide you with the critical thinking skills to understand the complexity of treatment indications for pediatric orthopedic surgery.
The educational experience and mentorship does not end after the fellowship year. By joining the Rainbow family, regardless of where your career takes you, our team in Cleveland will continue to provide support with challenging cases and career development.
Our faculty are academically engaged, and enjoy mentoring our fellows through research projects. Each fellow is expected to complete at least one research project. Our schedule does allow for dedicated research time. Rainbow has excellent research support and resources that do not exist elsewhere. We hold the largest single-center prospectively collected pediatric spinal deformity database, and have access to the Bolton-Brush Growth Study Center, along with the Hamann-Todd Osteological Collection, from which the Greulich and Pyle Atlas was developed. Our sports service has been instrumental in the establishment of several large multicenter databases and prospective studies, including the study of tibial spine fractures, ACL tears, and shoulder instability. Our surgeons have also established multicenter databases and studies for our limb deformity and neuromuscular conditions. We encourage our fellows to present their projects at national and international meetings.
RBC Resident and Fellow Alumni
Our graduates are working at:
- Atlanta Pediatric Orthopaedic Associates
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Hospital for Special Surgery
- Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Nemours Children’s Clinic, Pensacola
- Nemours/A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington
- Oschner Clinic
- Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health
- Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Intermountain
- Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Minneapolis
- Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Philadelphia
- Texas Tech, University Health Science Center, El Paso
- University of Florida
- University of Nebraska
- Penn State Hershey Medical Center
- University of Rochester
- University of Toledo Medical Center
We accept one fellow each year through the San Francisco Match program. Thank you for your interest. If you have any additional questions, please contact Ashley Schimpf, our program coordinator, at Ashley.Schimpf@UHhospitals.org.
Life in Cleveland Has So Much to Offer
Whether you are interested in exploring the rich cultural history of its neighborhoods or eating at one of its many award-winning eateries, Cleveland has something for everyone.