Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway
The Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway offers exceptional clinical and research training for the most competitive candidates to become future leaders in academic medicine. This pathway is available for the medical scientist training programs (MSTP) or the MD/PhD students and is designed to provide leading-edge opportunities in basic, clinical and translational research upon completion of clinical training in the residency program. Upon the completion of the pathway, residents are placed into a fellowship position in the subspecialty of their choice.
Length of training: six to seven years
Setting: University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center and the Louis Stokes Cleveland Veteran Affairs Medical Center
Description and Defining Characteristics
The Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway offers exceptional clinical and research training for the most competitive candidates committed to becoming future leaders in academic medicine. The pathway is designed to provide cutting-edge opportunities in basic, clinical and translational research upon the completion of clinical training in the residency program. Our goal is to train a new generation of physician-scientists through clinical and laboratory experience, course work and individualized mentorship. A specially established faculty mentoring committee comprised of outstanding research-focused physicians provides individualized career plans for trainees and develops academic building blocks essential for a successful medical career.
We want to ensure that our trainees not only meet the clinical and research requirements of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), but also become independent investigators and leaders in their academic research careers. Upon the successful completion of the internal medicine training, residents are tracked into a fellowship position at the institution in the sub-specialty of their choice.
- 24 months of internal medicine residency training
- 12-24 months of clinical subspecialty fellowship training
- 36 months of research (80 percent protected)
- Continuation of half-day ambulatory clinic per week throughout the research period
Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway Highlights
- Additional salary supplementation above the National Institutes of Health (NIH) scale during research training
- Educational and travel stipend starting with PGY1 year
- Guaranteed admission to the subspecialty fellowship program of a resident's choice
- Individualized mentorship alongside innovative research-physicians
- Candidates must have an MD or MD-PhD degree or equivalent
- Strong background in research
- Apply for the HPSP through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS)
- Three letters of recommendation, including a letter from a candidate's PhD mentor or research supervisor
- Invited candidates will have a separate interview day meeting leadership and faculty physician-scientists at Case Western Reserve University
- Candidates will be notified of their acceptance through the match process
Read about Bianca's experience with this Pathway
Read about Dennis' experience with this Pathway