Volunteering at UH Richmond Medical Center
With growth comes exciting, new challenges and the need for services that only a volunteer can provide. Volunteers are an integral part in our effort to deliver the best healthcare possible.
About Our Volunteer Group at UH Richmond
We are a small close-knit group. A Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon is held each year. Rewards and gifts are presented at that time. We also have one activity per year outside of the hospital.
Your Commitment as a UH Richmond Volunteer
Prior to applying as a volunteer, consider your lifestyle and other commitments. We ask our volunteers to schedule four hours per week, with the commitment of a minimum of six months, and one mandatory meeting per year. You will have a training period and attend orientation. Our professional and administrative staff will learn to know and depend upon you.
We welcome high school and college students and will work to adjust to your changing schedules, if possible.
Pet owners with certified therapy animals are also welcome at UH Richmond Medical Center through our pet therapy program. Learn more about how you can brighten the lives of patients through pet therapy.
Volunteer Opportunities at UH Richmond
The following list represents some of the areas of service of UH Richmond Medical Center, a campus of UH Regional Hospitals volunteer. We will make every effort to honor your preferences regarding placement. However, placements are based on hospital needs and your time and availability. Note that the minimum age to volunteer is 15 years and a sophomore in high school. Some positions may require a higher age.
One to One Patient Contact: Work directly with patients and provide services, as well as emotional support. Work directly with patients and provide non-medical care, as well as emotional support.
Information Desk: Provide telephone numbers and locations of patients; direct guests and visitors to their destinations; complete other tasks as time allows.
Clerical: Provide support with office duties in many departments.
The observation program allows individuals interested in a healthcare career shadow at UH Richmond employee to learn more about the field.
How to Become a UH Richmond Volunteer
Application: Complete the Volunteer Application to start a volunteer career at UH Richmond Medical Center, please fill out the appropriate volunteer application form and have 2 references complete the reference forms and email back to Tracy.Shrader@UHhospitals.org
- Interview: Once your application is received, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you. If an opportunity for placement is available, an interview will be scheduled.
- Background & Screening: Reference and criminal checks, including fingerprinting, are conducted on all volunteers before they start their position.
- Orientation: You will attend a full day Hospital/Volunteer Services Orientation at UH Richmond Medical Center, a campus of UH Regional Hospitals.
- Health Screening: Before starting their position, all volunteers will receive a TB test. It is provided by the hospital at no cost. The TB test is an annual requirement.
- Dress Code: You will receive a badge and a jacket that you are required to wear when volunteering.