Patient & Family Partnership Councils
Committed to Enhancing the Patient Experience at University Hospitals
At UH, we know that great care starts with understanding the needs of patients and their families. That is why we have Patient and Family Partnership Councils (PFPCs). This volunteer group partners with the hospital to improve the care experience for patients and their families.
Join a Patient & Family Partnership Council
What is a Patient and Family Partnership Council?
A PFPC is a group made up of current or former patients and family members and hospital staff that have received care at UH. These volunteers are called Patient and Family Partners (PFPs) and meet to share their stories and opinions, and discuss how care and the overall patient experience can be made even better.
What is a Patient and Family Partner?
Patient and Family Partners are those that are emotionally, mentally and physically ready to partner with the hospital. The READI™ Patient and Family Partner is someone who:
- Is RESPECTFUL, listens, speaks up, and collaborates with hospital staff
- Has EXPERIENCE of care at UH and is able to share their experiences to enhance care
- Is APPRECIATIVE of other patients and families and hospital staff
- Is DEDICATED to enhancing safety, quality and experience for all patients and families
- Is INVOLVED in his or her own or a loved one's care, and creates opportunity to partner with the hospital and other patients and families based on his or her experiences.
What Do We Do?
Our goal is to partner in a positive way to affect operations and policies to enhance the hospital experience for all patients and families who have come to UH for their care.
How You Help
We believe that:
- Partnering with patients and families can enhance the health care experience.
- Communication and teamwork are critical.
- No one knows you or your loved better than you do.
- You are your loved one's best advocate.
- You are an important part of your loved one's health care team.
- Your opinions and experiences are important and valuable.
- You have first-hand information and perspectives that can help other patients and families.
- You have a real opportunity to contribute to UH and the overall well-being of Northeast Ohio by becoming a PFPC member.
Steps to joining a Patient and Family Partnership Council
- Fill out the application below and hit submit (please allow up to 10 business days for a reply).
- Interview with the PFPC staff liaison, this takes about an hour and can be done over the phone or in person at the hospital you are interested volunteering in. You will also need to provide the name of someone on your care team, such as a UH doctor or nurse, at this time for a referral.
- Wait for pending review (please allow up to 10 business days).
- One accepted, you will be connected to the volunteer administrator who will complete the on-boarding volunteer process with you.