Volunteer Services at UH Portage Medical Center
Volunteer services at UH Portage Medical Center is dedicated to the art of compassion by creating an excellent patient/visitor experience involving members of the community. Volunteers are committed to the comfort and well – being of patients, their families and staff. We accomplish this by maximizing individual abilities and providing meaningful opportunities to serve.
More than 400 individuals each year volunteer their time and talents in some capacity at UH Portage Medical Center. Come in any entrance and chances are a volunteer will greet you and offer assistance. A volunteer may answer your call light, provide a warm blanket, transfer your phone call to a patient’s room or transport you to the front door upon discharge.
Volunteers are a vital link between the hospital and the communities we serve. They are dedicated to assisting hospital staff with providing the best possible healthcare services.
Benefits to Volunteering
- A caring environment where volunteers are respected and appreciated
- A place to meet and socialize with others who share an interest in giving back
- Many options to help that fit your schedule and interests
- Exposure to the health care profession and career opportunities
Traditional volunteer roles normally involve a commitment of 3 – 4 hours one day a week in areas such as:
- Reception Desks
- Mail Delivery
- Emergency Department
- Nursing Unit
- Gift Shop
- Musical Arts
- Spiritual Care
View additional opportunities and details.
Also offered through Volunteer Services:
- Wags For Wellness dog therapy teams
- Summer Volunteer Program (for high school and college students)
- Observation Program (shadowing experiences)
- Hospice Volunteering
Steps To Become a Volunteer
- Submit an application (see volunteer application link below)
- Teen volunteers (ages 14 – 17) must also submit a School Recommendation Form
- Interview with Volunteer Services after references are verified
- Fulfill health requirements (TB test and flu vaccine)
- Complete background check (18 years and older)
- Attend three-hour volunteer orientation
How to Apply
Apply online or print application below to fill out and return.