Minimally Invasive Cardiac Procedures & Interventional Cardiovascular Treatment
The Interventional Cardiovascular Center Provides Leading Technology Without Invasive Surgery from Top Interventional Cardiologists
The Interventional Cardiovascular Center at University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute is a recognized national leader for its expertise in complex minimally invasive procedures. The Interventional Cardiovascular Center provides timely and convenient access in multiple locations throughout northeast Ohio, leveraging the expertise of its world-renowned physicians and surgeons, as well as specially trained cardiac nurses and technicians.
At the center, patients receive the personalized service they need with access to lifesaving developments in cardiovascular medicine and surgery.
Advanced Interventional Cardiology Procedures Translate to Superior Outcomes
The Interventional Cardiovascular Center offers the latest, most technologically advanced procedures for both scheduled and emergency procedures, including rapid diagnosis and treatment of conditions such as angina and myocardial infarction.
Along with state-of-the-art catheterization labs, a hybrid catheterization lab-operating room, a multidisciplinary structural and valvular heart team and a world premier optimal coherence tomography (OCT) program, the Interventional Cardiovascular Center specializes in advanced percutaneous (performed through the skin) procedures, including:
- Left and right heart catheterization
- Complex coronary angioplasty and stenting
- Coronary physiology testing
- Intravascular Imaging (IVUS and OCT)
- Myocardial biopsy
- Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) Filter Implant and Extraction
- Percutaneous ventricular assist device implantation
- Primary PCI for myocardial infarction
- Treatment of peripheral arterial disease
- Visceral (renal, mesenteric) artery angioplasty and stenting
- Atherectomy of coronary and peripheral arteries
- Treatment of adult congenital heart disease (ASD, PFO)
- Stem cell therapy (clinical trial)
- Percutaneous aortic, mitral and pulmonic valvuloplasty
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR, clinical trial)
- Catheter-based renal artery denervation therapy for hypertension (clinical trial)
Center of Excellence in Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
University Hospitals has established a Center of Excellence in cardiovascular optical coherence tomography, which enables physicians to more expertly view tiny blood vessels in micro-meter resolution. In fact, our center's physicians and researchers helped develop optical coherence tomography (OCT), a procedure currently at the forefront of diagnostic imaging and interventional cardiology.
With OCT, our clinicians can view and measure important blood vessel characteristics otherwise invisible or difficult to observe with older imaging techniques. This advanced technology enables UH physicians to make more informed decisions regarding care and treatment by allowing them to:
- View the heart's arteries and other important organs in greater detail
- Determine the location and extent of any blockages
- Test heart function
Novel Therapies and Cutting-Edge Technologies
As part of our commitment to the development of advanced therapies and cutting-edge technologies, the Interventional Cardiovascular Center team at UH remains at the forefront of modern cardiovascular medicine by participating in leading-edge clinical trials and pioneering new treatments.
Current clinical trials being conducted at University Hospitals include innovative minimally invasive therapies for treatment of patients with refractory hypertension (renal denervation) and aortic valve stenosis (transcatheter aortic valve replacement, or TAVR), and trials for various stem cell therapies for patients with coronary artery disease or peripheral arterial disease.
Learn more about clinical trials UH is participating in at UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute’s Clinical Research & Innovation Center.