UH Orthopedic Experts Offer Outpatient Total Joint Replacement Surgery
Call 216-844-7200 today to schedule a consultation with a UH joint replacement surgeon to determine if an outpatient procedure is right for you.
For certain patients, total hip or knee replacement surgery, also known as total joint arthroplasty (TJA), may be safely done as an outpatient procedure, meaning there is no overnight stay at the hospital. Although each patient and procedure is unique, most patients return home within 4 - 23 hours of their joint replacement surgery, depending on their personal preferences and comfort level and at the discretion of their surgeon.
Recovering in the comfort of your own home may offer several benefits, including:
- Faster return to normal activities
- Possible reduced risk of hospital acquired infections
- Possible reduced risk of hospital readmission and postsurgical complications
- Enhanced overall patient experience
- Potential cost savings when compared to an inpatient procedure/recovery
Who is eligible for same-day hip or knee replacement surgery?
- Health. Successful candidates for outpatient joint replacement surgery must be in good general health without significant medical problems that would require monitoring in a hospital setting.
- Engagement. Patients must be actively involved in their own care plan and motivated to participate in a rapid recovery protocol at home, including post-surgical physical therapy.
- Support System. Patients must have an adequate support system at home to ensure the home environment is safe and that the patient has the resources and support they will need for a successful recovery.
- Pain Management. Your team must determine that you and your support team will be able to adequately manage your pain at home.
Multidisciplinary Teams for Optimal Outcomes
All patients undergoing joint replacement surgery at University Hospitals are cared for by a team of experts to ensure the best possible outcome. Your team will include your surgeon, nurses, anesthesiologists, physical therapists, home care professionals, medical equipment providers and pharmacists.
Your team of experts will be with you every step of the way using CareSense, our digital patient navigation platform in order to enhance your recovery. The platform allows us to monitor your progress and provide you with education about your surgery and what to expect. You will be able to communicate with your care team to get your questions answered quickly, monitor your pain levels, and make sure your recovery is on track.
Your health is important. Don’t delay care.
Offering in-person, video and telephone visits.
Call 216-844-7200 to see which option is right for you or schedule online today. Learn more about virtual visit
We Accept Most Insurance Plans
UH accepts most major insurance plans. However, it is best to check with your health plan to confirm that University Hospitals is included. View accepted insurance plans.