Choosing the Right Doctor for Your Child
Finding a primary care provider for your child’s health care needs is important. Pediatricians and family medicine doctors provide routine care for children, from newborns to young adults. We are pleased to provide parents with a variety of tips and tools to help them find the right pediatric provider for their family.
University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s has an expansive pediatric care network that offers both primary and specialty care services when you need it, close to home. Find a UH Rainbow pediatric provider near you.
Tips and Tools for Selecting a Pediatrician
Because a pediatrician specializes in the care and development of children, he or she will be a very important person in your life and your child’s life for many years to come. Your goal should be to find someone in whom you have confidence and would feel comfortable approaching with questions and concerns, no matter how small.
Talk to the People You Trust
One of the best ways to find a good doctor is to get referrals from people you trust. Talk to your friends and family members with children or ask your obstetrician or midwife for a recommendation.
List Your Priorities
Think about what is important to you and your family and make a list of your priorities, using the following questions as a guide:
- What experience does the physician have? Does he or she have a specialization?
- Is it more important for my doctor’s office to be near my home or my place of work?
- Does the office staff appear to be friendly to parents and children?
- Is the office environment clean and child-friendly?
- What are the office hours? Are there weekend and/or evening hours?
- Does the practice have a website with meaningful information?
- Can I access my child’s medical records online?
- Does the office offer same-day sick appointments?
- Does the office offer online appointment scheduling?
- Does the office utilize specialists at a top children’s hospital?
- If a child needs to be hospitalized, which hospital do they use?
- Does the provider accept your medical insurance?
It is often a good idea to meet with prospective providers before making a selection and before your baby is born – during the final months of pregnancy is a good time to start looking. Be sure to allow enough time to interview at least two or three providers so you can make an informed decision. These visits are a great time to ask questions, including those listed above.
Remember, you and your child’s doctor are a team in your child’s health care journey. Taking the time to ensure you select the right health care partner is one of the most important things you can do for your child’s health.
Your child’s health is important. Don’t delay care.
Offering in-person, video and telephone visits. Call today to see which option is right for you.