UH Connor Whole Health
How can mindfulness help me?
Mindfulness can improve:
- Relaxation and calmness
- Health and well-being
- Worry and guilt
- Focus and concentration
- Control over behavior
- Anxiety and stress
- Chronic pain
- Negative self-talk
Did you ever open the refrigerator looking for something, but couldn’t remember what you were looking for?
Have you ever driven somewhere and realize you have no memory of how you even got there?
Have you ever been introduced to someone and not remember their name seconds later?
These are examples of mind-less-ness. You can improve this by being mindful.
What is mindfulness?
- It is a way to train your mind and body to be present in the moment.
- It focuses on being aware of your thoughts and feelings without trying to change or control them.
How do I practice mindfulness?
- Take a walk in nature. Notice colors, sounds, temperature, textures, and smells. Stop and notice 3 things around you.
- Be present when talking to someone. Try to really listen to what they are saying. Try not to think about you are going to say next.
- Be aware of your steps when you walk from one place to another. Feel how your feet touch the ground and how your body feels when it is moving.
- Relax for a set time each day. Set a timer for 5 minutes and sit comfortably. Feel the sensations in your body. Be aware of your thoughts and your breathing. Notice how your mind wanders. Bring it back to focus on your breath.
- Listen to a guided mindfulness meditation on a CD or website, use an app on your phone, attend a class.