Search services by specialty, treatment or condition below or choose one of our featured services.
Advanced Care for Brain and Nervous System Cancers
Patients with cancer of the brain or nervous system can expect personalized care from the experienced physicians at University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center. Experts armed with the most powerful, advanced technologies combat tumors in adults and children.
UH Seidman Cancer Center team works closely with specialists from University Hospitals Neurological Institute's Brain Tumor and Neuro-Oncology Center and pediatric neurosurgery experts from University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital. This coordinated effort involves a broad range of the most advanced brain cancer treatment technologies available in the U.S.
Powerful Technology, Minimally Invasive Techniques
UH Seidman Cancer Center provides access to new surgical techniques for brain and spine surgery that are also much less disruptive to patients' lives.
We offer a full spectrum of treatment options, including surgery and radiosurgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Physicians at the Brain Tumor and Neuro-Oncology Center are pioneers in helping develop new, minimally invasive technologies. These include:
- AutoLITT: A revolutionary technology that destroys cancer cells with a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided laser and spares surrounding tissue. The precision of this technology leads to quicker recovery times. It is offered at only a handful of medical centers nationwide.
- CyberKnife: A painless, noninvasive technology that treats tumors and lesions previously considered untreatable.
- Gamma Knife: As the most precise form of stereotactic radiosurgery for the brain, this technology focuses numerous beams of radiation directly on a targeted area, sparing surrounding healthy tissue.
Personalized Treatment Planning
We believe every patient is unique. That is why our brain tumor specialists work with each individual and his or her family to develop a comprehensive plan that provides optimal treatment and enhanced quality of life. Our physicians take into account the following when considering treatment options:
- Overall health
- Type, location and size of the tumor
- Risk factors
- Each patient's individual needs and preferences
Experienced, Nationally Recognized Specialists
The Brain Tumor and Neuro-Oncology team is experienced at handling even the most complex and difficult brain and nervous system cancers.
Our team includes the following experts:
- Neurosurgical oncologists: fellowship-trained neurosurgeons who specialize in treating tumors of the brain and spine
- Neuro-oncologists: neurologists specialized in diagnosing and treating brain and nervous system cancers and administering chemotherapy to patients
- Medical oncologists: medical doctors experienced in administering the most advanced chemotherapies
- Radiation oncologists: doctors who plan radiation treatment for cancer patients
- Neuroradiologists: physicians trained to order and interpret advanced imaging studies of brain and spine tumors
- Neuropathologists: pathologists with special interest and expertise in tumors of the brain and spine
- Medical physicists: specialists who assist in operating sophisticated radiation equipment
- Nurses and nurse practitioners
- A support staff including financial and insurance professionals, social workers, therapists and psycho-oncology experts
The patient's referring physician is also kept informed and involved throughout treatment to ensure continuity of care