University Hospitals Digestive Health Institute’s Hepatology and Liver Surgery Center Delivers Effective, Compassionate Care to Patients
As a Center of Excellence within UH Digestive Health Institute, the Hepatology and Liver Surgery Center provides state-of-the-art care for patients with conditions affecting the liver.
The center includes:
- Surgeons specializing in liver cancer and transplantation
- Gastroenterologists specializing in advanced endoscopy of the bile ducts
- Hepatic oncologists (liver cancer specialists)
- Nurse practitioners
- Mental health providers
These specialists work closely together to provide a care plan that not only identifies the patient’s illness, but also addresses the emotional burden that accompanies being diagnosed and treated for liver disease. Individuals receive immediate access to our transplant program through our specialists who are also members of University Hospitals Transplant Institute. We provide patients with comprehensive, compassionate care before, during and after the transplant process.
Areas of expertise within the center include:
- Specialty care to individuals with liver disease, including evaluation of elevated liver function tests, treatment of viral hepatitis, fatty liver disease and benign and malignant liver lesions
- Comprehensive care for cirrhosis with the goals of preventing and treating the complications of advanced liver disease
- Prompt evaluation for liver transplant candidacy performed in collaboration with our expanded surgical team of experts at UH Transplant Institute