Child Life Clinical Internship
A Child Life Clinical Internship is one of the final steps in a student’s journey to becoming a Child Life Specialist. University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s comprehensive Child Life Clinical Internship program provides students with the opportunity to learn from practicing Certified Child Life Specialists during a 16-week semester. Child Life Clinical Internship positions are full-time, 40 hours per week, for a total of 600 hours. Students typically have two long clinical rotations (an inpatient unit and an outpatient unit) and a few shorter rotations to offer a well-rounded experience. Additionally, students have weekly in-services on topics relevant to the Child Life profession and complete required assignments including readings, a case study and a project. The hands-on Child Life Clinical Internship experience aligns with a student’s academic curriculum, builds upon the academic coursework and focuses on the further development of skills in assessment, planning, implementing and evaluating Child Life interventions.
Child Life Clinical Internship Prerequisites
Qualified applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s program at an affiliated* college/university during your Child Life Internship experience and must be degree-seeking (i.e. getting credit specifically toward the completion of a degree). Independent students are not accepted.
- Majoring in Child Life or a concentration in Child Life, Child Development or related field.
- Successful completion of the required 10 approved Child Life courses (6 applied areas of study) as required by the ACLP
- The ACLP “Confirmation of Child Life In-Progress” form can be completed if currently enrolled in classes considered Additional Required Courses by ACLP). Please visit the ACLP website for more information.
- A 3.0 GPA or higher in your major as demonstrated from your academic transcript(s) from your college/university.
- Completed a 100 hour Child Life Practicum experience** in a pediatric hospital under the direct supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist(s).
- Completed related experience hours, separate from your Child Life Practicum experience, in the following areas:
- A minimum of 100 hours of experience in a pediatric hospital setting with direct contact with pediatric patients and their families.
- A minimum of 100 hours of experience with healthy infants, children, youth and/or families.
- A minimum of 100 hours of experience with infants, children, youth and/or families in stressful situations.
* An Educational Affiliation Agreement between your college/university and UH Rainbow Babies & Children's is required but can be initiated after an official offer is accepted.
** Students are encouraged to have completed their Child Life Practicum before applying for a Child Life Clinical Internship. The Child Life Student Committee has observed that students who have completed a Child Life Practicum are better prepared for the selection process.
Child Life Clinical Internship Application Process
For questions and to learn more about the UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Child Life Clinical Internship prerequisites, application process or to request a Child Life Clinical Internship application packet, please contact our Child Life Student Coordinator. There are no fees for the application process or the Child Life Clinical Internship experience. The UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Child Life Clinical Student Program follows the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP) application deadlines and offer dates. Applications must be postmarked by the ACLP’s deadline dates for the specific session in which applying. Applications postmarked after the ACLP’s postmarked date will not be considered. Please visit the ACLP website (www.childlife.org) for more information.
Child Life Clinical Internship Selection Process
Upon receipt of your completed UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Child Life Clinical Internship application packet, you will receive an email confirmation. Applications will be reviewed by the UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Child Life Student Committee (the review of an application does not guarantee an interview). The Child Life Student Committee will conduct two rounds of interviews. From the pool of applicants, a select number will be contacted for a first phone interview. Applicants will be contacted if they are selected to advance to a second interview. Second interviews are conducted preferably in person, or via zoom if needed. The final selection for the Child Life Clinical Internship experience is based on the students’ completed application packet, application essays, letters of recommendation and personal interviews.
If selected, all arrangements for transportation and housing are the responsibility of the student. Parking is provided.
For further questions and/or to request a Child Life Clinical Internship application packet, please contact:
Lissy Zaremba MA, CCLS
Clinical Educator | Child Life Student Coordinator
Phone: (216) 844-1353