Advance One-Year Fellowship Program in Bariatric/MIS Surgery
This is a minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgery and bariatric fellowship which includes upper and lower endoscopy and esophageal studies. By the completion of this fellowship, it is intended that the fellow will become proficient in minimally invasive surgical techniques and have the skills to perform gastrointestinal and bariatric surgery and manage gastrointestinal diseases minimally invasively. There will be a focus on surgical management of obesity, gastroesophageal reflux disease and other esophageal disorders. The fellow will develop skills in upper and lower endoscopy and in advanced endoscopic techniques. The fellow will learn endoscopic techniques for the management of obesity and reflux. The fellow will also learn to run an esophageal physiology laboratory. He will be able to interpret esophageal manometry, esophageal pH studies and impedance technology for the evaluation of esophageal diseases.
Finally, the fellow will also be involved in research, both clinical and in the animal laboratory, to help advance surgical knowledge in the management of gastrointestinal diseases. The fellow will have the opportunity to operate in both an academic and private practice setting. One of the hospitals has residents and the other does not. The most unique aspect of this fellowship is that the fellow will become skilled in the care of esophageal diseases and treatments for obesity. This is a mixed MIS fellowship that encompasses upper and lower endoscopy, esophageal physiology testing and bariatrics.
- Location: Cleveland, Ohio
- Primary Program Site: University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center and University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center
- University Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Year Program Established: 2008
- % of Program Clinical: 85
- % of Program Research: 15
- Interaction with Residents: Some cases shared
- Is there a General Surgery Residency at the Primary Institution?:Yes
- Is there a General Surgery Residency at the Secondary Institution?: No
- Is there a curriculum in place for fellowship?: Yes
- Are there teaching conferences available for the fellow?: Yes
- Is there an evaluation tool for the fellow by faculty in place?: Yes
- Is there an evaluation tool for faculty by the fellow in place?: Yes
- Papers Accepted For Publication where PD was an author: 12
- Publications that Involved Input from the Fellow: 8
Dry Lab, Wet lab, Library, Administrative Support, Basic Science Research, Clinical Research, Simulation Lab, Simulation Center, FLS Testing Center, FES Testing Center, FUSE Testing Center
Life in Cleveland Has So Much to Offer
Whether you are interested in exploring the rich cultural history of its neighborhoods or eating at one of its many award-winning eateries, Cleveland has something for everyone.