About the Department of Radiology
Founded in 1866, what is now University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center was one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to be affiliated with a medical school. The School of Medicine first was known as Western Reserve College, then Western Reserve University and finally, in 1967, Case Western Reserve University. Soon after the 1895 discovery of X-rays by the German physicist Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen, the institution that became University Hospitals gave birth to the fields of diagnostic and therapeutic radiology in Cleveland.
In its early years, the department’s university scientists and Cleveland physicians pioneered the use of X-rays for clinical and teaching purposes. The UH Department of Radiology at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals was formally established in 1946 with Dr. Hymer L. Friedell appointed as the chairman and chief of radiology.
Today, we have a tradition of leadership in providing patients with state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging examinations interpreted and performed by world-class, board-certified radiologists. This extends to educational radiology programs for residents, fellows and medical students who continue to be an integral part of our department. Our commitment to research covers both clinical innovations and basic sciences through our department’s Case Center for Imaging Research (CCIR). Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals established CCIR as our hub for basic radiological sciences innovation. We are proud of being associated with one of the top research medical schools in the country and part of the largest biomedical enterprises in our region.