PGY2 Training in Pediatric Pharmacy
About & Program Objectives
PGY2 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY2 residencies provide residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
The UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital PGY2 pharmacy residency program builds on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY1 training and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of pediatric practice. Graduating PGY2 residents are prepared for advanced patient care roles in specialized positions and are eligible for board certification. Training focuses on developing independent problem-solving skills and treatment strategies involving a range of disease states that occur in pediatric patients.
The PGY2 pharmacy practice residency is a one-year commitment designed to provide post-graduate practical experience in the provision of pharmaceutical care to pediatric patients. Through these experiences, the resident is provided the opportunity to develop as a pediatric and general practitioner. Our goal is to train each resident to be a competent and confident provider of comprehensive pharmaceutical care for a variety of pediatric conditions. The resident will demonstrate the ability to manage patient care and achieve optimal drug therapy outcomes. Residents will be accountable for providing education to other health care professionals and patients through a multitude of educational opportunities. Throughout the residency experience, each resident will develop individual and professional skills that result in a highly marketable clinical practitioner.
Why Choose UH
Graduating residents will:
- Collaborate with health care team to provide comprehensive medication management
- Ensure safe, effective, and appropriate drug therapy
- Prevent, identify, and resolve drug-related problems
- Ensure continuity of care
- Present as a competent, confident, and compassionate practitioner
- Demonstrate a commitment to the advancement of the profession and continued personal growth
- Possess comprehensive health-system pharmacy skills that promote future professional growth
- Create, promote, and participate as a part of a multidisciplinary medical team
- Demonstrate the ability to identify opportunities for improvement within a practice and practice site
- Provide education to professional and nonprofessional audiences, utilizing effective communication skills
- Demonstrate a foundation of leadership skills in pharmacy practice
Life in Cleveland Has So Much to Offer
Whether you are interested in exploring the rich cultural history of its neighborhoods or eating at one of its many award-winning eateries, Cleveland has something for everyone.