Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency
History of UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital
- 1891: Maternity Home of Cleveland Association is established in a house to provide obstetrical services and care for women throughout Cleveland.
- 1892: Maternity Home is renamed Maternity Hospital of Cleveland and establishes eight prenatal clinics to serve the poor throughout the city.
- 1908: Calvina MacDonald, a nurse and former schoolteacher, moves from Boston and begins working at Lakeside Hospital in Cleveland.
- 1914: Calvina MacDonald is named Superintendent of Maternity Hospital
- 1925: Through a joint fundraising campaign with Babies and Children's Hospital, a new Maternity Hospital in University Circle is constructed. In the same year, Babies and Children's Hospital, the Maternity Hospital, and Lakeside Hospital join to form University Hospitals of Cleveland.
- 1933: Calvina MacDonald retires as assistant director of University Hospitals Maternity Hospital having instituted new standards of cleanliness, new equipment, strict discipline, and a new attitude toward patients - changes that are credited for the radical reduction in maternal and infant mortality rates over the preceding two decades
- 1936: Maternity Hospital is rededicated as MacDonald Hospital for Women