Life in Cleveland
Fun Facts About Cleveland
- In 2017, Matthew McConaughey and Bruce Willis filmed White Boy Rick in Cleveland.
- The first African-American newspaper, “The Aliened-American,” was first published in Cleveland in 1850.
- The Cleveland Orchestra, noted as being one of the best in the world, is referred to as one of the “Big Five” major orchestras in the U.S. and Playhouse Square is the largest performing art center outside of New York City.
- A Christmas Story, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers, Almost Famous, Happy Gilmore and Air Force One are some of the movies that have been filmed in Cleveland.
- Eliot Ness, Dr. Harvey Cushing, and 20th U.S. President James A. Garfield are some of the notable individuals buried in nearby Lake View Cemetery
- Joe Walsh (The Eagles), Drew Carey, Jesse Owens, Halle Berry, Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots), Bob Hope, and Wes Craven (Scream film series) are all from Cleveland.
- The modern golf ball, the American-made standard gasoline automobile, the American Diesel engine were Cleveland firsts.