Parkinson’s Disease Exercise Program
The goal of the Parkinson’s Disease Exercise Program at University Hospitals Avon Health Center Fitness Center is to empower people with Parkinson’s disease by improving their physical and emotional fitness in a fun and safe environment that encourages healthy choices and camaraderie.
What Does This Program Involve?
Our exercise program includes:
- Delay the Disease: A fitness class designed to target symptoms and improve functional tasks for individuals with Parkinson's disease.
- Upcoming classes: Yoga, spinning and additional cardio-based classes designed for individuals with Parkinson's disease.
- Educational lectures: Experts in the field will provide monthly educational lectures.
How Do I Get Started?
To get started with our program, just follow these simple steps:
- Provide a medical waiver signed by your physician allowing you to participate in the Parkinson’s Disease Exercise Program.
- Schedule a free wellness assessment by calling Renee Barrett at 440-988-6822 or by emailing Renee.Barrett@UHhospitals.org If you call, please leave a message with your name and number. You will receive a response within 24 to 48 hours to schedule your appointment.
- The assessment will take place at the Fitness Center at UH Avon Health Center. The assessment takes 30 minutes to an hour. Please allow us to determine the appropriate level of class for you.
Frequently Asked Questions About Our Program
- Are there specific requirements for the program?
You will need a care partner if you require assistance with getting up from a chair, specific exercises, ambulation, using the restroom and communication.
- Do I need an ID or membership card?
When you register for the program, you will receive a specific membership card for the Fitness Center at UH Avon Health Center. You will be required to show your membership card every time you enter the Fitness Center for a class.
- Can I attend different types of classes?
Based on space availability, you can attend as many or as few classes as you like that are part of the Parkinson’s disease program.
- When will the education sessions be held?
We will hold educational lectures covering various topics the second Thursday of each month. The times of the sessions will alternate every other month, 12 – 1:30 p.m. and 5 – 6:30 p.m., so that we can reach individuals in the Parkinson’s disease community. The education lectures will be open to the public.
- What is the cost of the program?
There will be a monthly fee of $20 per month. Payment will be set up when you register for the program. The educational lectures are free and open to the public.
- Is membership to the Fitness Center included in the membership cost?
No. If you would like to take advantage of the award-winning Fitness Center, it will require a separate membership. For more information on Fitness Center membership, please review the membership features and benefits page.