At University Hospitals, our sports dietitians provide medical nutrition therapy for all athletes, from Pee Wee to Pro. We focus on behavioral and lifestyle changes that positively affect health and athletic performance, offering care that consists of nutrition assessment, diagnosis, intervention and monitoring/evaluation.
What is sports nutrition?
Sports nutrition is evidence-based practice on the role of fluids, diet, nutrients and supplements as it relates to the performance of recreational and competitive athletes.
What is a sports dietitian?
A sports dietitian is a highly trained food and nutrition expert that can help athletes, fitness-minded individuals and teams meet their nutrition and performance goals.
UH Sports Nutrition Services will help you achieve your nutrition and performance goals through:
- Counseling individuals and groups on daily nutrition for performance and health.
- Using the latest scientific evidence and offering practical sports nutrition recommendations.
- Tracking and documenting outcomes of nutrition services.
- Serving as a food and nutrition resource for coaches, trainers and the community.
- Providing sports nutrition education for health/wellness programs, athletic teams and community groups.
Benefits of meeting with a sports dietitian:
- Better knowledge of the role of carbohydrates, proteins, fats and fluids on athletic performance
- Better understanding of what type of foods are most beneficial for performance
- Assistance with timing of meals and fluids to provide optimal performance
- Recovery foods and meal suggestions to assist the athlete with getting back into the game quicker
UH Sports Nutrition Services has adult and pediatric dietitians who are food and nutrition experts with training and credentials to translate the most up-to-date sports nutrition research into healthy living and optimal performance.