Comprehensive Joint Preservation and Cartilage Repair Care
Major clinical advancements have been made in how we repair joints to relieve pain and improve ease of movement. University Hospitals’ orthopedic care specialists are leaders in offering the latest diagnostics and treatments that identify the underlying causes of the damage and restore optimal joint function – promoting a quicker return to daily activity.
Your health is important. Get expert care.Schedule Online
Individualized Treatment Plan
Our physicians, surgeons, nurses, physical and occupational therapists and other clinicians work collaboratively to develop an individualized treatment plan based on your lifestyle and goals. Since we are an academic research institution, you may also have the opportunity to participate in a clinical trial to receive treatments that are not yet widely available elsewhere.
Leading-Edge Services for All Joint Conditions
UH orthopedists offer leading-edge, alternative treatments for arthritis and pre-arthritic knee and hip conditions, which may help you avoid joint replacement surgery and recover faster. Some of the joint preservation and cartilage restoration services we offer include:
- Advanced autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI): A procedure in which we grow a patient’s cartilage in our lab and reimplant it in the affected area.
- Bone modification: The shortening or lengthening of a patient’s bone to alter its alignment through an osteotomy, or the surgical cutting of a bone.
- Cartilage transplant: In this procedure, damaged knee cartilage is replaced with DeNovo NT Natural Tissue, which comes from donor tissue.
- Hip arthroscopy: This minimally invasive form of surgery promotes a faster recovery than traditional replacement surgery. UH has the two most highly trained and experienced surgeons in the country delivering these hip-preserving procedures.
- Percutaneous tenotomy: Known by the brand-name Tenex, this procedure uses ultrasound guidance to identify diseased, pain-generating tendon tissue and employs a tiny needle moving at ultrasonic speed to remove it.
- Platelet-rich plasma injections: This treatment uses a patient’s own blood supply to heal certain injuries through microfracture marrow stimulation.
- Osteoallograft: A procedure in which our surgeons transplant the bone and cartilage from a donor patient.
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services
Patients with any joint condition often require extensive pre- and post-operative physical therapy to maximize recovery. This rehabilitation is required to not only help strengthen the surrounding muscle and bone, but also to improve balance, coordination and to train your body to move correctly to prevent later injury.
UH’s multidisciplinary team care approach includes licensed therapists who ensure you receive the targeted therapy and rehabilitation program that helps you achieve your targeted activity level. As the official health care partner of the Cleveland Browns, our physical therapy and rehabilitation teams have the highest level of expertise and experience in developing programs for all ages and physical abilities.
Research Provides Advancements for Joint Preservation
Our expertise reaches beyond today’s patient care and stands at the forefront of technological advancements in the field through research excellence. Our team of dedicated researchers solely focus their attention on developing new treatments and diagnostic tools for cartilage repair and joint preservation, including access to one of the few stem cell trials available, specifically for damaged or deteriorating cartilage. Because of this focus on research and discovery, our patients have access to new innovations before they are readily available at other institutions.
Accessible Care Close to Home
Delaying specialized care for your joint pain or lack of movement can lead to more serious injury. With orthopedists and other providers located throughout northeast Ohio, access to imaging, treatments and rehabilitation therapy is often quick and conveniently available near your home.