University Hospitals Connor Integrative Health Network offers guided meditation classes and free downloadable meditations to introduce individuals to a variety of techniques that can aid in relaxation, as well as to reduce anxiety, stress and pain associated with various illnesses and conditions. This practice promotes greater calmness, physical relaxation and psychological balance, and can change how a person relates to the flow of emotions and thoughts.
Learn more about meditation and other services by calling
Guided Meditation Classes at UH
UH Connor Integrative Health Network offers free guided meditation classes as an introduction to this practice.
Listen to or download free guided meditations to reduce stress and anxiety and aid in relaxation:
Benefits of Meditation
In addition to being beneficial for overall well-being and relaxation, meditation can also be useful for various health problems including:
- Physical or emotional symptoms that may be associated with chronic illnesses (such as heart disease, HIV/AIDS and cancer) and their treatment
Elements of Meditation
Common elements of meditation practice include:
- A quiet location: Meditation is usually practiced in a quiet place with as few distractions as possible.
- A specific, comfortable posture: Meditation can be done while, sitting, lying down, standing, walking or in other positions.
- A focus of attention: Focusing one’s attention is usually part of meditation. The meditator may focus on a specially chosen word or phrase (mantra), an object, or the sensations of breathing.
- An open attitude: Having an open attitude means letting distractions and thoughts come and go naturally without judging them.