Health Benefits of Evidence-Based Holistic Therapies
At University Hospitals Connor Integrative Health Network, we recognize that well-being refers to far more than the absence of a disease. Rather, it focuses on the whole person and their physical, emotional and psychological health.
Through our network, we bring together conventional and complementary treatments, incorporating innovative and holistic services and therapies to promote healing.
That’s what integrative medicine does: it blends the best of conventional medicine with additional health therapies that are based on scientific research and evidence.
A Focus on Prevention and Disease Minimization
The approach we take at UH Connor Integrative Health Network is to center on both the prevention and the minimization of disease. Beyond that, we also want to promote and optimize well-being. That means tapping into the patient’s own innate healing abilities.
Some of the benefits that integrative medicine provides include:
- Reducing symptoms and pain
- Enhancing immune function
- Decreasing the negative impacts of stress
- Reversing the consequences of disease
Integrative Medicine Research Shows Proven Benefits
Research studies have demonstrated the powerful impact of a number of integrative medicine therapies on physical and emotional health. The findings include:
- Mindfulness meditation, relaxation training, and cognitive-behavioral therapy can significantly decrease anxiety, depression, anger, and worry.
- Brief – but regular – practice of relaxation techniques can improve stress and negative mood states, which are often linked to overeating and weight gain.
- Mindfulness meditation and other relaxation techniques have been shown to reduce the pain and related stress commonly associated with fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis and chronic lower back pain.
- A personalized, integrative approach to lifestyle modification, including stress reduction and integrative health coaching, can reduce cardiovascular disease risk.
- Mindfulness-based approaches to managing overeating improve binge eating frequency and metabolism (insulin resistance), independent of weight changes.
Learn more about the clinical research that has been conducted on the benefits of integrative medicine therapies.