Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Helps Patients Breathe Easier
University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute in Cleveland, Ohio, offers a renowned Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program aimed at helping patients to improve breathing and overcome lung disorders.
Our highly trained pulmonary rehabilitation team includes skilled nurses, registered respiratory therapists, exercise physiologists, registered dietitians, pharmacists, pulmonologists and other experts as needed.
Candidates for Pulmonary RehaChronic Bronchitisb
At UH, our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program benefits a variety of patients, including individuals who have been diagnosed with the following:
- Chronic pulmonary disease
- Restrictive lung disease or interstitial disease such as
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Lung conditions such as
Advantages of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Pulmonary rehabilitation at UH offers many positive benefits, including:
- Relief of respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath, dyspnea and fatigue)
- Reducing the fear and anxiety associated with chronic pulmonary diseases
- Increasing exercise capacity, stamina and the ability to perform daily activities
- Promoting an increased awareness of pulmonary disease and its management
- Improving respiratory hygiene to reduce infections
- Enhancing quality of life
Comprehensive Three-Phase Approach
The highly successful Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at UH consists of three phases. Each phase is specifically designed to bring the patient closer to health and independence.
- Phase 1 – This phase starts during the hospital stay and includes education and a limited exercise program that’s coordinated by the physician, nurse and respiratory therapist. Patients and families are educated about pulmonary conditions, pulmonary risk factors and proper pulmonary care upon release from the hospital. Also, a certified social worker can answer questions about insurance and health care arrangements.
- Phase 2 – This phase includes a structured outpatient program whereby pulmonary patients can exercise and participate in educational programs three times per week. Individual and group counseling is available to help patients return to a healthier lifestyle. As the patient progresses, professional assistance continues with education, nutrition counseling and additional individualized exercise programs. During workout sessions, a telemetry unit monitors the patient's heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen saturation level, while the staff observes blood pressure, pulse and oxygen saturation. When this program is completed, a final evaluation is sent to the patient's physician.
- Phrase 3 – During this phase, patients work out on the same equipment used in phase two as part of a safe, healthy exercise program. Also, patients meet twice a week to maintain the benefits and changes already learned under the supervision of their pulmonary health care professionals.
Support Group Encourages Healthy Lifestyle
The Pulmonary Support Group, in conjunction with the American Lung Association Better Breathers Club, encourages patients to continue maintaining a healthy lifestyle. During group meetings, patients learn about their condition, receive emotional support and acquire coping strategies. Patients may continue to participate in this support group throughout phase three of their pulmonary rehabilitation.
Close-to-Home Locations for Pulmonary Rehab Services
University Hospitals provides its comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation services at the following locations:
6847 North Chestnut Street
Ravenna, Ohio 44266
We accept most major insurance plans and will check your insurance coverage prior to starting a program. You must have a physician referral to enroll in a program.